disbudding video

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cannon_Farms, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Cannon_Farms

Cannon_Farms Well-Known Member Supporter

its not as detailed as I would hope, maybe next go around, but none the less here it is...warning, dont have your volume up too loud

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d04Ocu9EuC8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nUzp9P1iw[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Cannon_Farms

redundant

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

FANTASTIC VIDEO!!!!

Thank you.

4. LoneStrChic23

LoneStrChic23 Well-Known Member Supporter

Aw man..... I'm so dreading this. Perhaps since Sabrina is polled I'll have a lucky fluke and all the babies will be too... LOL

What disbudding iron is being used? My mom has an iron from Jeffers she bought about 5 years ago.... Looks just like a stick with a circle on the end of it... Perhaps it's an outdated model? Doesn't look like the one in the video.. Hope it will work though.

5. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you for sharing that! We have to get a dehorner so we can disbud ours in a few weeks. your video was very very very helpful!

6. Cannon_Farms

7. Cannon_Farms

this was a week old buck kid, by the time they are old enough to wean normally the holes have closed, or closed enough that they dont get freaked out.
    I do not like doing them older than two weeks, to me its harder on my disbuder and the kids.
    Notice that he does the bucklings with a second ring, that is important because if you do not do that you will wind up with scurs. The does just need the single ring burned

8. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

Great video Cannon, you look like a real pro! I bet this helps alot of folks.

9. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

I wish you luck, I have a naturally polled doe & this will be her 4th kidding here & never a polled kid for me yet.

10. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

So the second ring isn't like a descenting type thing?

The only experience I have had with disbudding was this stupid woman who is no longer my friend and she used her rhinehart on my goat kids last time (2 years ago) She wouldn't disbud my goats were about 8 weeks old because she said the nubs wouldn't be long enough. I guess I should have figured her methods weren't the best because every other word of advice she has even given me was wrong or full of errors (or just her preference but certainly not the only way to skin the cat so to say) Anyways... My doelings are almost 3 weeks old. perhaps I better get moving on getting a dehorner. I am glad evne more than you posted this video now- perhaps the dehorning will go a lot better since i wont be waiting for them to be so old- I will get it done tomorrow before lunch!

11. Cannon_Farms

I can not take credit for nothing more than being the chicken behind the camera this is the guy I pay to do it lol.. its totally worth paying him for.

I have never waited longer than three weeks, the horn buds did seem to come off more easy, however it was in my opinion harder on the kid

12. Creamers

Creamers Lucas Farm & WV Raw Milk

I just wanted to chim in here with another method - the guys who does ours only holds on once for a buckling in a rocking motion - stressing on the front of the bud on bucklings - for 16 (12 seconds on a doeling) seconds - removed the iron - pops off the "cap" of the bud and burns for a few more second - on bucklings (not doelings) - a total of bo more than 20 seconds - never a scur in the herd he has maintained for 30 years, and none in those he has done for us. . . it just gets to the copper color. We were talking when we were over about how he had his first buckling with a scur in more years than he could remember last year.

That video is a great learning tool, though

13. victory

victory Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video..I am not looking forward to this.
    I have done my own kids off and on over the years, but last year was the worst ever!!
    Out of seven kids, only the doeling didn't grow scurs. I know thet bucks are terrible for having scurs, but I would like to know your technique. I was taught to hold the burner on for six seconds, to get the copper ring, pop off the cap, re burn, then make the second copper ring..which is exactly what I did..do you have any suggestions at all??
    Thanks again for taking the time to share that video!

14. Laverne

Laverne Well-Known Member

That guy is really good. He is not keeping the iron on the head excessively. For those new at this, he's burning down to a copper ring then removing it from the skull. That is why you are seeing white instead of a copper ring that is usually talked about as a goat. The figure eight that is talked about is the second lower burn he is doing, it is angled at a slant to get the horn folicules that grow out of the skin like hair but form into horn if not eliminated. This is a problem on buck kids if not eliminated. If a buck kid is wethered the lack of testosterone will drastically stunt scur growth. I have so far disbudded without a figure eight on my wether kids. I do six seconds intervals 3 times on each side. I have a Lenk brand disbudder. I have read to put the hot burner tip in a tin can to make sure to keep it up to heat.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  15. Rechellef

Rechellef Show us your teats!!

Gosh, I have a kid on the way and am terrified of doing this. The two kids I have came disbudded. Would my vet be able to do this for me? The only other goat person I know raises Boers, so he never disbuds his goats.

16. Laverne

Rechellef, start a thread on here asking for the disbudding help. Maybe someone can give you a lead in your area.

17. Cannon_Farms

this guy is normally faster but it would have been an even less informative video, he never pauses, but does it in almost one swift motion.
    I am glad to know yall found it helpful, he almost makes it look too easy. Oh and a side note, the kid yelled louder about getting his head shaved:shocked:

If the morning weather holds out we need to bolus our goats so that will be the next video. Any suggestions Id be glad to take into consideration, Im not an old hat at this stuff but have had several rides in this rodeo, and who knows what we could all learn.

18. LoneStrChic23

LoneStrChic23 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks all for the tips and such on this.

The part that was confusing me the most was the copper ring/cap part.

Does the cap pop off easily or does it take some force? It was hard to see in the video and I want to make sure when I do this I can recognize the cap and get it off....

On my bottle buck, the breeder said that they had a problem with scurs on bucks last year, so this year they did the double burn/figure 8 on the buck kids. I dunno if they burned and got the cap off....... Is there any way to tell if a kid will have scurs? If so, how early can you see evidence of this and can you redo disbudding to correct it?

Was that kid a mini or standard baby and can the same disbudding iron be used on minis and standards? Can't buy my own iron yet, but hope to soon....

Thanks again for the video!

19. thaiblue12

thaiblue12 Enabler!

Ok I watched it with the sound off :) I figured since it was not one of mine I could watch it. I did watch the whole thing but it is still super :yuck: to me. I know my disbudder does the pop the cap off thing too. But I have never watched past that very first 10 seconds before I left ( ok ran lol ) out of the barn.
    I look forward to the copper bolus video, I have never done it and that is a job I know I can do.

20. Laverne

The mechanics behind disbudding is eliminating the blood flow to the horn. The burning cauterizes, sizzles, destroys the blood vessels, plus destroys the surrounding horn, hair follicles. If any of these follicles were not destroyed that is where you can get little tiny rough scurs around the horn area, after healing, that aren't attached to the scalp. These are just a few horn hair follicles that survived and are of no concern. This is why a good size tip is necessary to get all of the surrounding follicles. This cauterizing can be accomplished with the copper ring which is cooked skin that looks like leather after it is cooked and dehydrated with the heat, thus turns a copper color. The skin in the center of the burn ring, which is over the bud, which was in the hollow of the iron, comes off easily, it hasn't sizzled into leather. Some just leave it, others pick it off with the iron and then put the iron on it's side, and burn the middle bud area. I burn the bud a little, usually.