Disbudding solo

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Laura Workman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Just thought I'd share a little. In the past, I have had trouble getting willing help for disbudding at times convenient for me and right for the kids, so this year I figured out how to hold them myself! I get a hand towel and fold it into a long band. Get a washcloth and fold it into quarters. Straddle the kid with my knees and sit down, forcing him to lay down. It helps to fold his front knees under for him, so he goes down easier. So, I'm sitting on my heels with the kid under me, his head just in front of my knees. The washcloth goes under his head. The band goes under one of my knees, over his neck just behind his head, and under my other knee. I draw the band tight enough that he can't raise his head off the washcloth at all. Then hold the ears back and the head stable with my left hand, and handle the iron with my right hand. Works great! And no more waiting until they're too old because I can't get help!

Does anyone have any other ways of holding kids to disbud or tattoo?

2. robmiap

robmiap Member

Wow Laura,
    I send you a big WELL Done! I just watched 4 babies get debudded this Sat. and I don't that I could do it by myself. But I do understand that sometimes we have to figure things out if it's gonna get done. Mia in IN

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I'm single so I end up doing disbudding and castrating and everything else myself! (I'm only a 100 pounder too!) Your method is similar to mine. For disbudding (fortunately I have nigerians!) I take the kid inside the house and sit on a step. I place the kid between my knees with just the head sticking out. His butt is against the step so he can't back out. I hold his head tight , making sure I have an ear safely tucked under my hand and do the deed. I like your idea of the towel - that should help even more!
    For castration (banding method) I set the kid against me in a sitting position, his back to me. It seems to work if you don't get one too big or too fidgety! It sure would be nice to get some help though everyone around me is too squeamish!

QUOTE=Laura Jensen]Just thought I'd share a little. In the past, I have had trouble getting willing help for disbudding at times convenient for me and right for the kids, so this year I figured out how to hold them myself! I get a hand towel and fold it into a long band. Get a washcloth and fold it into quarters. Straddle the kid with my knees and sit down, forcing him to lay down. It helps to fold his front knees under for him, so he goes down easier. So, I'm sitting on my heels with the kid under me, his head just in front of my knees. The washcloth goes under his head. The band goes under one of my knees, over his neck just behind his head, and under my other knee. I draw the band tight enough that he can't raise his head off the washcloth at all. Then hold the ears back and the head stable with my left hand, and handle the iron with my right hand. Works great! And no more waiting until they're too old because I can't get help!

Does anyone have any other ways of holding kids to disbud or tattoo?[/QUOTE]