Disbudding Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by barbieny2, Apr 7, 2006.

1. barbieny2

barbieny2 Active Member

Okay..this is the deal...last night the husband and i disbudded 3 does...we are first timers....we have read and read and really felt like we knew what we were doing....until we actually did it!! I am having doubts that we left the iron on the area long enough....we did not get "copper rings" around the area but we did leave the iron on for 10 sec and then another 6 sec....at this point i do not know what we should do....should we do it again for another few seconds....should we just leave it and see what happens.....any advice would be great.....

also we used the 40 iron thing and we let it totally reheat up in between does

THANKS

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I would re-do them & make sure you get the nice copper ring.

3. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I remember the 1st time I did this.....just loaded up a couple youngsters and the disbudding iron and took them to the vet. I watched and learned how, it didn't cost much.... :cowboy:

4. barbieny2

barbieny2 Active Member

It will have been 24 hours by the time I am able to redo it... Will that be okay???? Thanks so much for your help.... :bow:

5. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

That's fine to do it. If you wait, you may end up not getting it done good because the horn base will be too big.

6. barbieny2

barbieny2 Active Member

okay....so I guess I want to do it until i get a nice copper ring....if done correctly will I get a copper ring? I guess I am just so afraid of hurting them or frying their little brains?

Who would think that doing this would cause me so much worry and uncertainty...Thanks for your support

7. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If the iron is hot enough & you do it correctly, you should get a nice copper ring. Test your iron on a piece of wood before using it on the goat. It should leave a nice solid black ring on the wood.

8. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

if you got a copper ring they should be good. what breed of goat are they?

Liz

9. barbieny2

barbieny2 Active Member

Liz,

They are mutts....their mom is a saanan/nubian/boar mix and the dad is a tog

I did not get nice copper rings so I guess I will have to try again....using the 40 i assumed that 16 sec would be enough and I was afraid to keep going even though I did not get the copper rings.....

Thanks for your advice....

10. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

what type of disbudding iron are you using? It should not take more than 10 seconds to get your copper rings. Check and make sure that your iron is hot enough. could be your power source. Also, we use the x5o and it has a swith that can be on either d or s and if it is not on d it will not get hot enough. just a thought.