Disbudding question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kyla206, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Kyla206

Kyla206 Member

I've read conflicting opinions on whether or not to treat the newly disbudded area with iodine or antiseptic powder right after you're done. Should I put anything on the area, or wait & put some type of salve on the next day? And, if yes on the salve, what kind? I have learned so much from this site! A true blessing to all of us goat newbies! Thanks in advance! ~Kyla

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I usually don't put anything on it. If you do I would use something like Furall. I would not put an ointment because that will keep it moist & it heals better if it is dry.

3. Lancelotacres

Lancelotacres Well-Known Member

No infection should set in that area after it has been cauterized with a disbudding iron. I give mine a handful of crushed ice to the head as soon as they are done. Check the fiasco farms website I think they may put an ointment on after a day or so.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I use any of the many blood stop powders right after you disbud. Works fine, never had a problem. I really like Wonder Dust.

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

blood stop why?? The disbudding spots do not bleed. I do not do anything if they oozz I use blue coat to help them dry out.
    Liz

6. Lemontreefarm

Lemontreefarm Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing - I have never had a goat bleed from disbudding - I never put anything on the burn. Just give the baby lots of TLC and a bottle or momma - They are back to normal the next day. Good luck - It something no one likes to do.