Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to disbud and castrate a buck you plan to butcher at 3 months? At 6 months?

Dee

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Are you doing it yourself?
I would just throw out there, that it would probably be good to practice on your meat before you do your doelings. ...if you're new and going to DIY.
Of course, that's easy for me to say - my husband does all of the disbudding at our place.

Not sure about wethering, but I would think so on a 6-monther.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
since it is hard to predict the future, (when will that buck get butchered?), we always castrate and disbud the bucks, always. I have heard too many people wish they had done so, when the bucks were left intact. You just never know how things will play out. We want all bucks castrated and disbudded, so we do it at a very early age; castration about 5 days of age, depends on a few facts, and disbudding shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No, it is not necessary and it stresses them which may stunt growth. We keep them intact and take them to market at around 4-5 months. 6 mos might be risky, if he's in a pen with older does you are keeping.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
You don't have to as far as the taste of the meat as long as they have not gone into stinky rut and most youngish bucks don't really stink. I have butchered full bucks at 3-4 months and they were not stinky, they were just like wethers. Some people even eat stinky bucks, but I don't. Also, if I will be selling them, i don't want a full buckling leaving my farm and ending up a breeder...or a "billy" somewhere with a miserable life...so they are wethered before leaving here.

Disbudding is a personal choice. Sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. If I think I may keep the kid for any length or time, I disbud, as I hate pulling them out of the fence and at feeding time I don't want to get poked in the eye when i bend over in the pen. If I will be butchering them young, why put them through it?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<<<<it would probably be good to practice on your meat before you do your doelings. ...if you're new and going to DIY>>>

That's a very good idea, actually! We have never done it before.

<<<We want all bucks castrated and disbudded, so we do it at a very early age; castration about 5 days of age, depends on a few facts, and disbudding shortly thereafter>>>

Yikes! He's four days old right now. Do you have to do it that soon? How are you doing the castration?

<<<We keep them intact and take them to market at around 4-5 months. 6 mos might be risky, if he's in a pen with older does you are keeping>>>

So we could keep him with a doeling until 5 months old? Or not that long? Is there a way to tell if it's getting to be "his time"?

<<<I have butchered full bucks at 3-4 months and they were not stinky, they were just like wethers. Some people even eat stinky bucks, but I don't. Also, if I will be selling them, i don't want a full buckling leaving my farm and ending up a breeder...or a "billy" somewhere with a miserable life...so they are wethered before leaving here>>>

I agree. Is there a huge difference in the amount of meat you get from a 4 month old you wouldn't have to castrate and, say, an 8 month old?

<<<Disbudding is a personal choice. Sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. If I think I may keep the kid for any length or time, I disbud, as I hate pulling them out of the fence and at feeding time I don't want to get poked in the eye when i bend over in the pen>>>

How big do their horns get by 4 or 5 months old? We plan on moving him to a pen with another doeling for a few months. She's our dog attack victim, who is healing nicely. She is 5 months old right now. I don't want ANYTHING happening to her. I'd disbud him just to protect her if he gets any amount of a horn to butt her with.

Dee

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I think the meat is most tender, best quality at 2-4 months old. I don't castrate (they are dead before breeding is an issue) anymore but I do sometimes disbud them.

To castrate, use a razor knife to cut off the bottom third of the scrotum, cut the inner sac enclosing each testicle, and pull it until the cord snaps. Do not cut the cord, just pull.

They can be easily doen anytime in the first month, the first 2 weeks is ideal. I have done them older but prefer to do it when they're little.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A buckling will "ride" other goats very early on. If he's had his testicles for a few months before he's castrated, he will always ride others 'cause it's a natural behavior he was stimulated to do when he had hormones, and continues to do after castration 'cause now it's just what he knows.
When a buck starts that lovely habit of urinating on his legs and face, and he is sniffing the does for signs of estrus, he's gonna be a danger to the girls.
And the horns are, ike, two inches long at that age. Stubby, but they are not really mean aggresive at that age either. Not like a more mature goat.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I use the knife method. Things to consider; was the kid early or overdue, both testicles descended, general condition of kid? Was told by a vet that under one week is ideal age to castrate, for the trauma level of the kid. I cut off the lower third of scrotum, grab the scrotum and push up each testicle, one at a time, and use a pair on hemostats to grab and slowly pull out each testicle. The cord will just snap off with a steady pulling pressure. I do this in the evening. By morning, the new wether is back playing again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts