Disbudded buck ucky?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Dec 31, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I disbudded our little baby boy yesterday and he was 2 1/2 weeks old and had some decent little horns growing. Well I used a RhinehartX50 and my neighbor helped and said I did a good job but the little guys area looks wet whereas his sisters horns are nice and dry. I sprayed then with Furall when I was done. He was scratching his with his hoof as soon as he got a chance when we were done like it bugged him. Could I have held it on too long? What should I do if anything? I didn't give them the CDT shot as my neighbor said he never does.

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Spray them again with furall...did you knock the hornbuds off after you burned them?
    I sounds to me that you likely didn't burn him too much, I am thinking that you might not have burned him enough. Watch them when the top cap comes off... You might have to burn them longer...Oh another thought...did you rock the iron back and forth and side to side when you were burning?
    I always do and then I lay the tip of the iron flat on the hornbud so it heats up the whole bud. I took me years to figure what I was doing wrong but I disbudded 10 kids last year with no scurs at all.

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

As your little saanens babies are born try real hard to disbud them as soon as possible I have done them at one day, day 3 is more norm though . the doelings maybe can go an extra day but those bucks are born with little horns sometimes. Better to do it right, than to do it twice. :eek:

4. allenslabs

Yeah I rocked him and counted.

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

It sure would not hurt to give him a CDT or at least a T.
    Keep spraying it. I do not pop the caps off for about 6 wks. once they loosen.
    you could give him a baby asprine if it is really bothering him.
    Liz

6. allenslabs

Oh I did already pop the caps off right after it was over with. It doesn't seem to be bothering him is the thing. I've not been out yet today as I've had a lazy day but still yesterday he was poppin around like always. Goats are funny creatures...... so small but so strong.