Disbelief....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kazahleenah, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

So, yesterday my neighbor walks over... admiring my first flower crop I was thinking... WRONG!!

She asks me "what are those big bushes you have over there with the itty bitty flowers and big, round colored things on them?" I was shocked. I turned to where she pointed, half hoping I was wrong, but yes... she WAS pointing to my tomato plants!! :eek: So, I gather myself and explain those were all tomato plants. As if I couldn't be shocked any more by this woman (aged mid-30's) she then looked all confused before asking how I dig the tomatos up without killing the plant. :rolleyes: I said that she must be thinking of "potatos"... nope, "those" grow on vines"! Now mind you I live in a VERY non-city setting, farms and gardens are on every place around.

Are people "really" this naieve as to where their food comes from?????

Kaza

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Some people are just hopeless. There was a girls who worked with me one time like that. She was about 25 and getting ready to get married. She and her husband to be were looking into building a house, but were concerned about the price. I told her to look in some of the older neighborhoods. She could get a bigger house for less money that way. She just looked appalled and said "You mean you can buy a used house?!?". I was dumbfounded.

Shane

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I don't have a story to contribute but wanted to let you know that you both gave me a laugh. Kaz, I don't know how you were able to keep your composure during that conversation. Please make your neighbor promise never to go into medicine or work at the local nuclear power plant...

/VM

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

A middle aged woman once asked me why we had a steer. I said he was our meat for the year. She thought I was kidding. She honestly didn't know she'd been eating cattle all her life.

During a farm tour one little boy was enthralled with milking the goat. He milked one side by himself. He did a great job. When he was done he proudly announced, "I milked a cow!" A cow? I replied, "No, Dylan...Honey....this is a goat. Remember? I said we were going to milk a goat." Poor Dylan. "OHHHHHHH GROSS!!! I TOUCHED A GOAT!!!" He was only six. At least when they're only six it's cute.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

When I was landscaping, I took on one employee who was completely grossed out when we were working in a client's garden and he learned that potatoes grow underground. He was vegetarian, and the thought of all that dirt, and sometimes bugs, touching every single one of the vegetables he was eating really gave him a hard time. I didn't have the heart to explain what the organic fertilizer we were using was made from.

He didn't work for me long, and I have no idea what "clean" food he's eating now.

6. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Take heart, friends, when the SHTF those stupid people will be the first to starve to death, thus strengthening the rest of the herd.

7. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Wow, Kazahleenah...that's something. The "used house" thing is also hilarious.

I do have some co-workers who were surprised to hear that turkeys don't reproduce asexually. They've asked me if I plan to breed more, and I say, "Well, no, I don't have a boy turkey." They said, "So?" :confused:

8. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

Its amazing how many people think that you need a rooster in order to get eggs.

9. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Nothing amazing about it. It's called "uneducated". No one is born with knowledge, you have to acquire it. If you're not working with livestock, don't read about livestock and don't talk about livestock, then it is highly unlikely that you will know these things.

10. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

These are so funny! I don't think it is a lack of education though, it's a lack of rational thought.

11. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly!

12. quietperson

quietperson Well-Known Member

We had a lady stop by one day who wanted to buy some brown eggs. We had just sold the last of the brown ones before she got there, so I told her that we did have some white eggs. She replied that no, she only wanted brown eggs because brown eggs were country eggs and the white ones were city eggs.

13. Kazahleenah

** just giggling**

I may be a country hick, but I know what I'm eatin. :D Dirty taters, fresh maters (off the "bush"), and eggs that pop outta chicken 'butts'. ;) and I'm lovin every minute of it!

Kaza

14. emke

emke Well-Known Member

I'll never forget the first time mom visited after we moved to the country. Knowing she wouldn't be able to handle the darker yolks on the eggs I scrambled them. She took a tentative bite and said, "Why, they taste just like eggs!" I'm thinking well duh, they ARE eggs. :rolleyes:

I still can't get her to try our fresh smoked bacon, but I bet she will eat a steak off the first cow we butcher. She said she would rather get her meat from the store in nice plastic covered containers. I said that is all well and fine, but to remember where it comes from. She says she knows, but couldn't imagine raising a pet to eat. I told her they aren't pets, but we are raising them for food. She just can't understand why I love my country life.

15. freelove

freelove Well-Known Member

Yes, I know people who prefer Mrs. Butterworth's syrup to real maple syrup because it just doesn't taste like maple syrup...

They also won't eat any produce from a roadside farmstand because it is dirty.

Ahh, and the man who very proudly pulled into the gas station the first day of hunting season with a goat tied to his car.

freelove

16. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

My hubby won't eat the girls' egg because he knows where they come from. Chicken butts! But he'll eat store ones, because they come from the store :grit:

17. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

"Yes, I know people who prefer Mrs. Butterworth's syrup to real maple syrup because it just doesn't taste like maple syrup..."

Ya know....I have to admit something here. Prefer the taste of margarine to butter. I was was raised with margarine in the house, butter was too expensive. I can remember the first time I tried butter on my toast, I was probably about 13 and we were at a diner. I remember thinking "This doesn't have any flavor at all, give me some margarine".

As I got older I relized what it was I liked so much about the taste of margarine....It tastes like corn. Buttered field corn.

Now I keep both in the house, butter for cooking and margarine for my biscuits. :)

Shane

18. Kazahleenah

hehe... I'm starting to really like my neighbor.... she's sweet and excellent comic relief. Yesterday I was gathering seeds from my flowers (first year growing flowers) and she was walking past... stopped to watch me gathering the pods etc.... then asked what I was doing. I told her I was collecting the seeds so I could plant them next year. She pondered a minute then said..."wow! I never knew plants made seeds." She's been commin around about every day latley, she's intreagued with this gardening I do. We're actually becomming friends. :) She asked me if she planted 2 mater plants next year if I would help her keep them alive. It's amazing the change in this woman... it's nice to see actually.

Kaza

19. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I was at a local farmers market, a lady was purchasing garlic. One of the bulbs rolled off the counter and onto the floor. The floor was very clean. She refused to buy it and asked for another. I felt compeld to explain to her that all of the garlic was grown in manure. And that she was not going to eat the peel.

We go to a bluegrass festival every year. The festival is held on a working dairy farm. The campsites are set up on the freshly mowed hay feild. When it rains it gets very mucky. I love explaining to the city folks that what they are walking and sitting in is not just mud.
    steff

20. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Kaz, I'm glad to see that there is hope yet for your neighbor! What a wonderful educator you are! Keep it up! :goodjob:

Meg