Disappointing fair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rnmom23, Aug 4, 2005.

1. rnmom23

rnmom23 Well-Known Member

Well, I've been exited for weeks to go to our county fair. This was because I'm interested in purchasing some dairy goats in the near future and have found very little info on the net regarding farms/dealers in this area. Figured that of course I'd meet some "goat people" at the fair- and maybe even be able to try some fresh goat's milk (which is no where to be found around here). I wanted someone in this area to be able to give me some good tips and point me in the direction of some breeders. I have found one breeder in this area on the net, but they ask upwards of $600 for their goats and I'm just not looking for something so fancy-I'd like to find a couple good, disease free milkers for around $100 each. Maybe I'm being unrealistic. Anyway, at the fair, I headed first for the dairy barn- but to my dismay it was all cows. And all the info they had about dairy and dairy foods were based on cows milk. HELLO??? So I headed for the sheep and swine barn in which I found 4 goats- looked like nubians. They were sweet and gentle, but there was no information about them to be found anywhere- not even a breed or farm name? I waited around, hoping their owner would show up- but got frustrated after 45 minutes and left. AHHH! Where are all the goats? Perhaps there just aren't any to be found in Chemung county, NY. Needless to say, I left rather discouraged. :( Maybe I'll have more luck at the state fair in a few weeks, then again maybe not- I don't remember there being a lot regarding goats there in the previous years.

2. Mrs. Cook

Mrs. Cook Member

I am sending you the names and e-mail addresses of 2 breeders in your area who may be able to help you. Please check your PM..... Linda

3. Mrs. Cook

Mrs. Cook Member

Seems like your PM is not activated, so I can't get the info to you. If you e-mail me at timshel1@earthlink.net ,I will send you their names..... Linda

4. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

That must have been really disappointing, would have been nice to have a few people who you could have spoken to about their goats...I think I may know why this happened, especially when you mentioned no farm names advertised. Were you there when all the 4H and FFA children were there?
    No farrm names or advertisements allowed, and very few breeding animals, most are for market.
    I bet the Open Division folks were there before the children came in. We show sheep and goats and 80% of the time we exhibit the day or so before the Fair opens so their is enough room for the Jrs.
    I hope this was the case...Is another Fair coming soon to your area?
    Be sure to ask when the Open Show is...I hope you have better luck.

5. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Our fair is in Sept and I don't know of anyone taking their critters. The man in charge of the barn is a complete jerk - last year he yelled at people viewing the stalls and cages, locked our animals up and then wouldn't unlock them, yelled at the 4-H kids...All around it was a terrible experience. Someone else offered to take over the barn since it was supposedly an issue of "no one wants this thankless job" but they got the same guy anyway. From a perspective such as yours, I now feel quite guilty. However, I just can't subject my kids or my animals to him...Not to mention my Irish temper! Perhaps we'll just do an inside demo with numbers and names for those that are interested.

6. rnmom23

Linda, I sent you an e-mail, thanks.

7. rnmom23

Livestock mom, This may be the case. They had had livestock shows earlier that day, but I was unable to make it and figured that the same animals would be kept there for viewing. Apparently I was wrong. :shrug:

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Have you been to ADGA.org and looked up clubs in your area? A great place to start. And even someone with $600 animals will have does in the spring in milk who will not fit into their breeding program. I flew in a buck from New York last spring, so you have goats around you :)

I could also send you the New York section of the ADGA directory if you want it. Just send me your snail mail address, if you don't have a PM here just email me at vickilonesomedoe@hotmail.com

Milkers will be at a premium right now since you are going to be competing against dairies starting up in your area for a cheese plant. A really good time to start is this fall, those expensive kids that are left unsold from spring, aren't going to have room in the barn, they will go for about 1/3 their asking price, really great deals, and some will come bred.

$100 for a milker...I would worry about disease, her milk, the health of her udder and her temperment. Hopefull you have read the boards, know the diseases, know to milk her before purchase (make sure you can handle her) and taste her milk warm. Good luck with your purchase. Vicki

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Check with all local feed stores in your area and surrounding counties. The goats have to have feed and the feed stores know who buys it. You could also put up some flyers at these feed stores with your little tear off phone number requesting info about dairy goats. Ditto on what Vicki said. Buying a cheap goat usually means buying somebody else's trouble. If you want a good milk goat that will supply you with what you need be sure and ask questions and be willing to pay a little more. It could save you in the long run.

10. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I promise there will be goats at the NYS fair! :happy:
    The fair is over a week long and the show lasts 2 days and there will probably be over 100 goats there. Many have herd signs and displays set up. I am barn sitting for friends that are spending their vacation at the state fair with their goats (and their 2 children under age 2).

Some county fairs have lots of goats and some don't. Really depends on the 4H programs involved. Some counties have even cut out certain animals completely. I was at Caledonia Fair in Livingston County this past week and there were about 30 goats but they were all pygmies or Nigerians, no full size. Chautauqua County fair in Dunkirk had pygmies & dwarves, also had several meat goats showing and also over 50 full size dairy goats too. Fabulous displays at each goat stall!

I'm not surprised that you couldn't get a glass of goat's milk at a fair. That would be a big no no in NYS. $600 could be realistic if the animal is show quality, on DHIR milk test, ADGA linear appraised, etc. $100 is reasonable if you're not interested in registration papers or show quality.

There are many many factors to consider before buying a goat. I suggest checking out a book at your local library called Your Goats by Gail Damerow. It's written for children, but it puts the basic (very basic) requirements in plain english.

If you need any other info about breeders in ny, please contact me.