Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new baby is a month old and for the past month I had someone else watching my ducks and geese. The ducks started dying off, I had assumed predators but nothing was hauling then off. Well I go to butcher a six month old meat duck and it's as scrawny as an egg laying chicken! Apparently my animals have been being starved to death and between six geese and two dozen ducks ate less than one bag of feed in a month. Is there any way to salvage my birds, would it be worth feeding heavy for a month then butchering? It's been cold and they've not had their dog cage to stay in overnight combined with being underfed for a month if freezing nights. Is that going to make them drop twenty too twenty five percent of their condition? Or could something actually be wrong with my flock? At this point I just want to put them out of their misery!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just start feeding them what they should be getting. You didn't notice you were only buying one bag of feed per month?
Nope, I just gave them my card to buy feed for all the animals as I was in and out of hospitals with my new baby and didn't really notice what was being bought/fed aside from my house pet dogs.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hope you and the baby are doing well.
As for the ducks..how much feed do you want to put into them and how bad do you want duck? In reality it would be cheaper to go to the store and get some whole chickens then the cost feed you may need need to get these guys to eating size. I say may because it is really hard to say how long to get them back to eating size if they even do. The longer you wait to butcher them the older and tougher the meat will be.

I would say if they are still alive and you really want duck to eat and have the time go ahead an try to see if they fatten up.

If you do go do that road and have time it would be nice to hear how long it took and how much feed to get them back to eating size if they do.

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
There are a few grocery stores that sell processed duck. You'll have a hard time finding Muscovy, Pekin are more common. That would probably cost less than what growing your current ducks to butcher weight will cost.

I don't know if the starved ducks will ever be worth eating. You can try feeding to see if they will grow to a productive size but I wouldn't expect much. Just feeding them normal rations now might cause them to drop dead.

I'm sorry you couldn't find someone trustworthy to care for your animals. I hope you don't need to rely on that person without them learning more about proper livestock care.

Congratulations on the new baby. I wish you and the little one good health and happy lives.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,219 Posts
My suggestion is triticale grain at 17.5 % protein. I buy mine from a grain farmer.
A lot cheaper than store grain. I also give mine cracked corn. And one feeder has
layer crumbles. My ducks are in with the chickens.

If you are short on money, just go with the triticale. Hate to say it, but your birds are
dying from NOT enough food. Also make sure they got enough water.
And if you don't have the money or time, put a ad on craigslist and give them away.

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the ducks might possibly gorge themselves enough to cause problems if given an unlimited food supply?

I would start offering more food in small portions several times a day. Make sure they have some grit too.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,219 Posts
Ducks don't gorge themselves with food. At least mine don't. Never heard of that.
However if they have been without enough food, they will eat plenty to get caught up.
Just like a chicken will. Once they get their fill, they will stop. It may take awhile
to get them satisfied.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,219 Posts
I have only had a few Muscovy here. Never seen them do that either.
The khaki campbells and the cayugas head straight for feed dishes in the
mornings And then right to the water dishes. Which are not kept in their
sleeping room, due to the ducks playing in the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a few grocery stores that sell processed duck. You'll have a hard time finding Muscovy, Pekin are more common. That would probably cost less than what growing your current ducks to butcher weight will cost.

I don't know if the starved ducks will ever be worth eating. You can try feeding to see if they will grow to a productive size but I wouldn't expect much. Just feeding them normal rations now might cause them to drop dead.

I'm sorry you couldn't find someone trustworthy to care for your animals. I hope you don't need to rely on that person without them learning more about proper livestock care.

Congratulations on the new baby. I wish you and the little one good health and happy lives.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts