Disabled father needs donated computer to take on line courses my old one not fixable

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 24, 2004.

1. I live in Ontario, Canada in Q!uinte West near Trenton, Belleville, Ontario.
    I have been on a disability pension due to health inherited problems since 1988.
    The computer l bought in 1999 l guess l didn't keep dust cleaned enough inside power sourse overheated and motherboard l guess no good repair guy said not worth fixing to put in $ 450.00 which l don't have anyway.

My wife and l had to do a consumer proposal in 2003 a form of bankruptcy so lost all credit cards and lending options.
    My doctor says l need a hobby for my manic depression something to do so l am hoping to take on line courses and get grade 12 l just new any usable used computer if any one knows a company or some one who has a spare just sitting around.

I have been trying now for 5-6 months to find a group to donate me one l am not asking for a new one wven thou that would be nice to have updated one.
    I also put time in chatting with people around the world, l have met nice christian and none christian friends out there.
    Please help me if you can please email me at jim1_reeve@yahoo.com

Thanks God bless

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The way I see it, you have 3 choices.

1. Borrow a friends computer

2. Use the library computer, and

3. Buy one on e-bay. That is where many of the major companies sell their out-dated things. My DH bought one for $80 just a couple of weeks ago.

3. Go to yard sales and thrift stores. My husband has bought perfectly good ones at both places, and they were CHEAP.

4. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Also check with repair shops, as they may have a model for you at a reasonable price to suit your needs.

5. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

freecycle there may be one near you .library is a good start .also the trash many thrown out each week

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

So......

You chat and can get email. What computer are you using to do that with? I suggest using that one for your online courses.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

use someone elses credit.

lets be fair they might be a honest one....

i'll assume ya got a monitor and a ketboard and a mouse from the old one. so what you need is a tower.

now you got a tower. they are all just atx tin boxes. you need a power supply.
    tiger direct.com you can get cheap components.
    a power supply is @30 bucks.
    a new motherboard&processor is @100 bucks.
    memory for tha board is @30-50 bucks.

now you pop those in your old shell and uya got a working puter.
    so lets say, 200 bucks.

you need a hobby, try dumpster diving, you might forget the net altogether. BUT diving can snag ya some good puter parts too.

the goodwill has whole hulks cheapo, and often tosses those out too.

or you could use the puter u r on now.

I will be real honest, if you are depressed and manic, vegitating on the net wont help you...

go out, get some sun, dig in the neighbors trash. its a great and rewarding pastime.

I dunno what repair guys run in canada, but I just had one scheck and certify a laptop was struck by a lighting surge, it took him all of 5 min to do and he charged me 90 bucks an hour.
    naturally since it was an insurance claim.. he said it took an hour.

so... I hope your repair guy was cheap.
    theres a hobby... learn to build computers, its pretty easy.
    find a good how to book, and there your entertained for a whole lifetime.

9. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

CN, someone else might have said it with more finesse, but they couldn't have said it any more true.

10. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

HUH?

You're posting as "Unregistered" and asking for a donation??? What's wrong with that picture? You may be honest and really in need but you aren't showing that to us by posting as "Unregisterd". You didn't even give us a user name.

As far as a dusty computer goes, :confused: my dusty computer just keeps going with the dust maintenance I give it. I'm not into chasing dust because I don't have the time and my Pentium II still keeps ticking with the special treatment I give it.

You might try doing what I do about every 6 months or so. Take the cover off the CPU then take the bare CPU outside and gave it a good "up close" high wind job with a box fan on high. It might work as well for you as it does for me.

Fla Gal

11. Um. Dont be taking the cpu out of anything. You need to reapply the thermal grease, besides its not going to get dust in the cpu..

maybe you mean take the CASE outside? A cpu = the central processing unit and is the small square shaped chip underneath that fan that is attached to your MB. the case is what holds all the guts of the computer inside.

12. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

GET A JOB

You mean to tell me you are SOOOO poor you are unable to set aside $20 a month?!!! Hell, even $10 a month would do. Obviously now that you have no computer you are paying no premiums to an internet service provider. Where has this money been going? Or do you just don’t want to spend it? I would imagine for just BASIC dial-up, the cost would be about $25 a month.

You may be fooling the majority of these people because they are to gullible and nice for their own good but not me. I loved the very clever oxymoron touch of “Thanks God Bless” at the end.

And I also back the question, where are you writing this from?

13. Sounds like jim1 should go on welfare :)

http://www.trentonian.ca/webapp/feedback/feedbackcontent.asp?content=&intpage=1&Action=NEXT

14. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

You need to go to learning sessions to realize what you just said.

15. enlighten me where i had an error.

16. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

So I still would like to know what computer Jim is using to make these posts and chat and get email with?

17. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I understood it. :confused:

18. Sounds like you are only guessing at what might be wrong with your computer. However, assuming the problems are with the power supply and the mainboard, both can be replaced for very little.

You should be able to get a new power supply for $20. You can read the brand & model on your mainboard and probably find it on ebay for under $20. Five year old mainboards shouldn't get much at ebay.

Sounds to me as if your computer repair person isn't interested in fixing your machine, only upgrading it. Find someone who will diagnose & repair what you have, or better yet learn to do it yourself.

19. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by southerngurl
    The computer l bought in 1999 l guess l didn't keep dust cleaned enough inside power sourse overheated and motherboard l guess no good repair guy said not worth fixing to put in $ 450.00 which l don't have anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never posted that, lol!