Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me make clear that although I have no religious beliefs, I respect the fact that others do. As long as they don't try to shove it down my throat!

I really object to those religious people who come hawking at my door, however. To me, religion is a very private thing, and to invade another's privacy by trying to 'sell' their beliefs to others in their own homes is something I strongly object to.

Today, I was truly shocked by the latest hawker of religion to come a'knocking at my door. A lady, easily in her 90s, who could barely shuffle along in her walking frame, obviously in pain, but equally obviously out to do her best to convert me.

I was cool, but polite, told her I was not interested, and (as I always do) asked that she 'please, do not call again'.

If I choose to discuss religion, or to be preached to, I'll do it at my own convenience and whim, thank you!

Just what lengths do these religious sects go to, in order to canvas their beliefs? I truly believe that this frail old lady should not feel obliged to go from door to door - that's a hard job for someone who is young, fit and healthy! What pressure must have been applied to her to do such a thing? Yes, I recognise that she must have strong beliefs of her own, and perhaps she really wants to do it, but surely it has to be the result of strong and persistent brain-washing? Wouldn't she be unscrupulously used as an example to others in the sect who might be less willing?

Really, I'm outraged! Do they really think that sympathy for this lady will really make people feel guilty enough to allow her to preach to them? I honestly don't think any of this is ethical, or even kind.

And what about the children who are often brought along to do their share of the hawking? Where does it stop?

·
Premium Member
27,922 Posts
Are you talking about JW's? If so, the reason they canvass neighborhoods is because they believe if they don't obey the order to spread the good news, they are disobeying God and will never get into paradise. From cradle to grave they are taught that they must do this.

(at least that is the way I understand it from what some JW's have told me)

I truly resent the intrusion into my privacy also. They always come by when I am juggling 10 different tasks. And they usually stop by on the coldest days when the wind is roaring.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
First, let me make clear that although I have no religious beliefs, I respect the fact that others do. As long as they don't try to shove it down my throat!

I really object to those religious people who come hawking at my door, however. To me, religion is a very private thing, and to invade another's privacy by trying to 'sell' their beliefs to others in their own homes is something I strongly object to.
Perhaps you should have a sign on your door saying such. Otherwise, how is anyone to know your feelings on it unless they come knocking at your door?
Today, I was truly shocked by the latest hawker of religion to come a'knocking at my door. A lady, easily in her 90s, who could barely shuffle along in her walking frame, obviously in pain, but equally obviously out to do her best to convert me.

Just what lengths do these religious sects go to, in order to canvas their beliefs? I truly believe that this frail old lady should not feel obliged to go from door to door - that's a hard job for someone who is young, fit and healthy! What pressure must have been applied to her to do such a thing? Yes, I recognise that she must have strong beliefs of her own, and perhaps she really wants to do it, but surely it has to be the result of strong and persistent brain-washing? Wouldn't she be unscrupulously used as an example to others in the sect who might be less willing?

Really, I'm outraged! Do they really think that sympathy for this lady will really make people feel guilty enough to allow her to preach to them? I honestly don't think any of this is ethical, or even kind.

And what about the children who are often brought along to do their share of the hawking? Where does it stop?
I really can't speak for anyone's religion but my own. Nobody in my faith is berated, belittled, brainwashed, or badgered into going on any sort of proselytizing mission. All missionaries, whether 19 year old young men, 21 year old young women, or retired folks, do so voluntarily, without bullying from anyone. They, as Christians, feel it's their responsiblity to share the gospel. (That being said, most senior citizens in our church don't do proselytizing missions-that is, they don't go "tracting" or knocking on doors.)
A lot of single, elderly missionaries go on their missions to be involved in something and to keep active.
I'm sorry that this sort of thing bothers you, however, I don't believe there is anything truly sinister behind it, regardless of which religion it is.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
If you see them coming ahead of time, strip naked and answer the door.

I guarentee they won't stick around or bother you again!

Bless their hearts!

·
Registered
303 Posts
My advice is just this: Hang a sign on your door that says, "No missionaries of any kind." I did this after several years of my day being interrupted by JW's and Mormons. Once I attached that sign, none of them ever bothered me again.

My day doesn't get interrupted. They don't get insulted. Win win.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
All Christians are called to share the Word and the Good News of Jesus. It's called The Great Commission.

How and to what extent varies not only by denomination but individuals, as well.
Jehovah's Witnesses and Latter Day Saints are both particularly devoted in that they're the ones that'll go door to door.
So far as children, if one believes that part of their purpose on this planet is to bring more lost souls to the Lord, it makes perfect sense that children are taught from an early age. :shrug:

Personally, I've never hesitated to take (and even read) tracts that are brought to my door. It's interesting to see what others think. However, that doesn't change my faith in the slightest.
But for my part, I've discovered that if I'm patient and respectful, I'll be treated in kind.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,626 Posts
Because of my concern for you I Pray that one day you realize the Gift she is offering to share with you :angel:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Ardie, you're a nut! :)

What I find interesting in the OP is that he claims not to believe in an objective standard of truth, then immediately tries to APPLY one to those who proselytize.

Bang! [the sound of your argument shooting itself in the head]

·
Registered
303 Posts
Because of my concern for you I Pray that one day you realize the Gift she is offering to share with you :angel:

big rockpile
BRP--you said the most with the least amount of words. Nice. And nicely done.
I don't mean any disrespect to those who feel the need to proselytize but the OP made it very clear that he does not welcome these intrusions into his life nor does he want to be rude to those who come unwelcome to his door with whatever their religious message is. Why this is not understood by the church officials who sanction these door-to-door missions and interruptions into the lives of others is a mystery to me.

My previous advice to attach a sign saying "No missionaries" still stands as the best way to keep these people from knocking on your door.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I sometimes invite them in to discuss why they believe what they believe. I'm not a member of any church but know my bible pretty well from some past training. They usually get frustrated with the conversation and excuse themselves...although I've never tried the naked thing...

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you knew for a fact that great harm might come to a neighbor.....would you try to warn them. If that harm you believed would result in torture and imprisonment.......how far would you go to try and warn them. Would you care if they thought you were nuts.

If you didnt warn them and they in fact suffered.........how would you feel?

If they had stopped in to tell you about someone giving away free garden seeds down the road would you feel the same.

If you believe they are worried about you, or want you to be aware of something they think you can benefit from then take it as a compliment...and politely take it or leave it. Thats the way I feel anyway.

I once knew a lady that was willing to chain herself to a tree to save it, blocking traffic for a half mile, but tried to sue two ladies who came to her house twice to "give her the good news"!

·
Super Moderator
16,908 Posts
I truly believe that this frail old lady should not feel obliged to go from door to door - that's a hard job for someone who is young, fit and healthy!
Obligation? It is her JOY! You would deprive an elderly lady of the chance to share what she regards as important? Why?

I worked in nursing homes. and, many of those residents suffered keenly because they could no longer help people, and not being able to help people made them feel useless. They HATED that! After a life time of being the capable person that every body relied on, they were now expected to sit on their hands! So much for THAT junk! They were PROUD of their abilities, and they liked to use them!

Sadly, many of them had no choice. They COULD not help others, not their families and not strangers, and it BUGGED them!

So, this is one elderly lady who figures she might do somebody some good by talking to them. She can no longer baby sit or run errands or bring cookies to the bake sale, but, by golly she can still TALK!

So, she does.

You are not interested? OK. No problem.

There are people who ARE interested, and she will find them.

·
Single male homesteader
746 Posts
how would those of yo that feel going door to door to spread the "word" is ok, feel if I came to your door every Saturday morning saying how good devil worship is! It is an intrusion no matter who is doing it!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well, I don't consider it an intrusion, ever. It's not like they barge into my home. They knock, like anyone else. If you consider it an intrusion, put a "no solicitation, no proselyting" sign up on your door.
As for me, I always invite them in to talk. As far as the J.W.'s go, I usually tell them that I'll take their literature if they'll take mine, and I offer them a Book of Mormon. They never take it and they always leave. I wish they'd stick around talk though, sincerely, I do. I could wait until they are safely settled on my couch before I make that offer to them, but then, I'd feel like a spider with a fly.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
When people come to my door that I do not wish to talk to, I simply tell them so and close the door. It works every time. I smile, I am very polite and I close the door. Don't argue with them, don't discuss the weather - just close the door with a very nice 'thank you.'

Usually though I will talk to missionaries if I am not busy with pressing things.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
The Founder of Christianity did not keep His beliefs private and He very specifically instructed His followers to share the Good News: ergo that we are all sinners, but that His substitutionary death on the cross paid for our sins and that if we will believe on Him we will be forgiven of our sins and escape being separated from the Living God for all eternity.

Someone please give me a rational explanation as to why such an offer is 'offensive'?

If someone knocked on your door and offered to pay off your mortgage you'd leap for joy.

If I told you about a great new restaurant, your ears would probably perk up.

If I told you of my negatove experience with a certain product you'd consider me a good friend if I warned you about it.

The offer given here is for forgiveness of ALL your sin, eternal salvation, joy, freedom and purpose without end...but that's offensive?

As Prof. Kirk in one of C.S. Lewis' books said, "Don't they teach logic anymore?"

You think it's easy to face hostility, scorn, derision, hatred and even death?

Why would anyone willingly expose themselves to such treatment?

Probably a genuine concern for your soul.

Stef

·
Registered
303 Posts
How far must one go to allow another person their joy in fulfilling a mission they feel compelled to complete? Where does one person's rights end in order to let someone else enjoy theirs? There has to be a line somewhere. That line must be drawn by the person who feels the intruding party has gone too far. There is no need for rudeness. There is only the need for a polite refusal to allow that invisible line to be transgressed.

One can be rude and tell the offending party to go away or one can choose to be charitable and allow the other person to complete their perceived "mission". My preferred solution is to be pro-active and post a sign that says, "No missionaries".

No rudeness, no anger, no hurt feelings, no problem. Win win.

·
Premium Member
27,922 Posts
I regard it as being similar to someone coming to my house to convince me that the sky is orange. I have my beliefs which do not happen to agree with theirs. Plain and simple. EVERY religion believes theirs is the only way to believe. As for sharing the gospel according their religion, thanks but no thanks. I have spoken with JW's, they are nice and polite but I simply do not agree with their way of thinking.

If someone knocked on my door and offered to pay my mortgage I would wonder what that person would want in return.

The part that bothers me the most is how they go about sharing the word. There are better ways that don't involve unwilling listeners or intrusions on people's time. IMO, if they would serve the community and use that as a witness it would be so much more effective and would bring in people who truly want to hear their message.

I'm going to shut up before I get more involved in this one.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I just simply state "No thank you, Im a born again Chrstian" and quietly shut the door.
Some of you probably can't respond like that.

Jesus was everywhere about his Father's business...the synagogue, the market, preaching & teaching & healing wherever he went. He didnt need to go door to door.

As for this sweet little old lady she sincerely wants to do what she feels God & her church is calling her to do, the least any of us can do is just say No thank you. If you cuss her out or open the door naked she will just thank God for suffering for the cause of Christ.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts