Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loving the country life, thankful for the economical boost of the oilfield, but living on a dirt road with the trucks high-tailing it back and forth all day is causing some respiratory issues for myself and the kids.

They're spraying used lubricating mud on a field down the road from us; takes about 10 minutes to spray, 30 minutes to go pick up another load and come back, two trucks from 10-24 hours per day. It's starting to feel like we live in a "Pigpen" situation (Peanuts reference).

I flagged down one truck and asked them to water down the road. He said his company didn't have water trucks, but he'd see what he could do. It's been a week and no help in sight that direction.

Called the county road barn for my section, it's too dry for a load of water to do much good, so they won't send one out. Really nice guy, but pretty much told me I was on my own.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about taking my used fry oil and painting the road at the end of my driveway to at least cut that down, but it's not like I can do that for the whole road. Someone came along and put a "Please slow down" sign out, but it doesn't seem to resonate with every driver. The thought of purposefully digging a washboard into the road did cross my mind, but I don't want my road torn up.

At a loss and somewhat out of breath.

·
Registered
10,924 Posts
Speed bumps?

Reactions: HomeOnTheFarm

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
If they are going over 45mph maybe less on a dirt road call the county law, also call the county commissioner for your district directly. The other option is to start up the food chain. Mud truck company, drilling company, oil company holding the lease.

Setting up a couple of sprinklers in your yard between the road and house might help some.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Call the Department of Environmental Quality. You have an air quality issue. If there's a creek nearby and the mud is getting into it, you also have a water quality issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd never heard of magging a road! Thank you for the information!

Now I'm considering getting a bag of it and "salting" a small section of my road as an experiment.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,689 Posts
I'd never heard of magging a road! Thank you for the information!

Now I'm considering getting a bag of it and "salting" a small section of my road as an experiment.
You can get bags of snow melt ( You do need the right formula) and use that but you need to water the road before or after to set it. You need to do a big chunk of road though.

Magnesium chloride is what you need,

·
Banned
17,258 Posts
If they are going over 45mph maybe less on a dirt road call the county law, also call the county commissioner for your district directly. The other option is to start up the food chain. Mud truck company, drilling company, oil company holding the lease.

Setting up a couple of sprinklers in your yard between the road and house might help some.
Why not set a row of sprinklers along the road ? Covering the road. Be carefull not to create a slick surface. You wouldn't have to run them much.
Combine that with salt and a few minutes a day might be all ya need.

I can't see what 45 mph has to do with anything though.
DONT dig speed bumps that is criminal damage to government property and may set you up for a lawsuit if a truck loses control.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic information! I knew the other homesteading folks here would be my best source for information on this matter (Internet searches are mostly ads, or land me on "dump your used motor oil" which I have absolutely no intention of doing!).

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Why not set a row of sprinklers along the road ? Covering the road. Be carefull not to create a slick surface. You wouldn't have to run them much.
Combine that with salt and a few minutes a day might be all ya need.

DONT dig speed bumps that is criminal damage to government property and may set you up for a lawsuit if a truck loses control.

Speed limit on secondary roads in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
10,924 Posts
Sorry - I was being sarcastic when I wrote "Speed Bumps" I know you can't do that.

Reactions: HomeOnTheFarm

·
Registered
5 Posts
The county is responsible for keeping dust down. The little guy with kids at play really gets people's attention. Also speed limits? Call county asap An bring it all to there attention an even the oil field company. There's a lot of cramp in this world dust is a small small problem that can easily be fixed. Speak up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts