Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dipping Dogs in Kerosene
A neighbor told my boys that he recommends dipping dogs in a mix of Kerosene and water "every now and then" to keep away various ailments. Our dogs are being treated for yeast on their paws (due probably to their love of digging in the creek to get to muskrats and turtles) and he kindly offered his Kerosene suggestion (after he learned our dogs had been to the Vet at quite a cost). He suggested dipping their paws in straight Kerosene. He told the boys that in the "old days" Kerosene was used to treat many troubles and works quite well.

Now we totally are not going to dip any living animal (dog or otherwise) into Kerosene, however we are curious as to what in Kerosene would work and does anyone today still use the kerosene Treatment?

( This Discussion is not part of the School Discussion Class, however, responses will be shared with the School Animal Owning members. )

Thank you in advance for responses, ideas and suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Don't discount the ole timey remedies off hand.
When a colt of mine had dryland distemper, with the resulting abcesses breaking out in various areas, the famous ole cowgirl told me to squirt kerosene on the abcesses, as it helped bring them to a head and break.
I think the used motor oil story must be the sulfers in oils from the old formulations.
But, my "more modern" fix for fungus feet would be to use bleach water soaks. When some dreaded fungus broke out in the avocado groves of California, every ranch got a bleach tire trough for all entering vehicles to drive through entering their gates.
Ole timey remedies are the 2+2 of what's on hand. What worked, was used again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,161 Posts
It probably has a base of truth but there are modern nonflamable versions that a vet can use with less and better known side effects. Lots of ol time remedies were kill or cure, turpentine was another cure all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
There are a lot better treatments available now. I don't know exactly what in kerosene would kill fungus persay, but enough kerosene will kill about anything! As for the bleach, it will kill fungus, but it sure stings when applied to any broken skin! I used it on myself when I got ringworm. Cleared it up, but I doubt a dog would understand why you are hurting it and you may well end up with a foot-shy dog. WIHH's suggestion of Gold Bond Powder (on the main board) is a good one to try. Or you could try other yeast infection (athelete's foot, etc) remedies. Just keep the dog from licking for a while after applying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
Try cider vinegar, it works I use it all the time for dogs with yeast outbreaks. I use it as a rinse after bathing depnding on how strong the yeast is changes the percetage I use with water. You could prob spray it on the troble spots after they come in from the creek.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
I found Gold Bond powder stung on broken skin, so I'd be careful with that. Cider vinegar isn't so bad that way. Would a bleach solution be comfortable if less concentrated? If so, would it still work?

Wine is supposed to be an excellent antibacterial, but I don't know about fungus infections. (That is from modern research, btw.) Skin that is broken out from fungus is just tender though. Keeping it dry is a good start, hard to do with active pets and a crick!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,242 Posts
I'll stick with food grade diatomaceous earth (DE)! Everything that breathes around here eats DE daily. No sickness, no diseases, no conditions, no vet bills.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top