Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go get me a couple tree rats for dinner tonight... I was back to the house within 20 minutes of walking out the door with the shotgun and two dangling from my belt...

mmmm MMM! gonna fix up a little squirrel stew with bisquick dumplings.. (I'm too lazy today to make real dumplings)

Reactions: Riverdale

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
We were out of bread so Sweetie made drop biscuits and I made rabbit sausage gravy, we had ripe tomato slices with it. Just got done with dinner....James

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow.. now that sounds really good... No idea what's happened, but not many rabbit this year. Lots last year.... I hope to maybe start a small raised colony next year...

Haven't had rabbit stew in a long time..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could just fry them, but I'm not the biggest fan of that..

Here's how I make mine... I use two squirrels for this .

Coat in flour that you've added salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and onion powder to. Season to your taste... I tend to go pretty heavy...

Brown in a dutch oven or small stock pot using a lot of butter and some oil.. I like Olive..

Once browned, add a can of chicken broth, or if you have home made broth, use about 12 ozs or so...

I add a small onion diced.

Some people add carrots and potatoes. I don't care for that..

Cover and let simmer for an hour or so until tender. Stir occasionally and add water if getting too thick.. Be sure not to let the bottom scorch or stick.

Once the meat is tender, remove from the gravy, remove from the bone and shred.

Return the meat to the gravy.

Mix some bisquick with milk. I use around a cup... I mix it just a little thicker than pancake batter. Just so it's kind of thick on a spoon, or that you can get it on a fork..

Drop spoon sized dollops into the gravy.. You may need to add a little water if your gravy is too thick... Fill the pot so there's not much space between he dumplings..

Cook low for 10 minutes uncovered. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes..

Serve and enjoy some of the richest food you've probably had in a long time..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts