Dill

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Jul 3, 2006.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have grown dill for my first time and it was doing good. One day I came to cheak on it and all my leaves were gone besides a quarter sized bunch of leaves. Nobody could have cut them off. What happened? This is LFG's daughter.I am 10. Thanks

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I can only guess, since I cannot see your garden. But I would think it was deer or chickens or turkeys or grasshoppers or goats! I expect 'something' thought the leaves were pretty tasty.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Dillerpillars! Sorry, swallowtail butterfly caterpillars - they love dill so much we call them dillerpillars.

4. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Monarch butterfly caterpillars also love dill. I have a lot growing so there's enough for all!

5. lonelyfarmgirl

I'll tell her. I told her it was probably a rabbit, but she din't buy it, because she has moss roses planted in the same bed, and they were unaffected. The dill stem was practically stripped bare. thanks

6. lonelyfarmgirl

-If a caterpillar is eatting my diil, how can I prevent them from eatting my dill?thanks. This is the daugther :help:

7. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Pick them off when you see them. I would believe that the butterfly would have laid it's eggs on the "host" plant so that the babies would have something to eat when they were born.

8. lonelyfarmgirl

I saw some flys on the stem of my dill, will they eat my plant? Thanks :shrug: lfgs daughter