Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It all depends upon whether or not you want a spicy one that is kept in the fridge or a processed recipe.
I have not tried this, but heard it was good:
Refrigerator Dill Pickle Slices
Refrigerator Dill Pickle Slices get their “zestiness” from mustard seed, garlic and crushed red pepper.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Stand Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Makes 4 pint jars.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds pickling cucumbers (4 to 5 inches long)
1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Turmeric
2 quarts boiling water
2 tablespoons McCormick® Dill Seed, divided
4 teaspoons McCormick® Dill Weed, divided
4 teaspoons McCormick® Mustard Seed, divided
1 teaspoon McCormick® Minced Garlic, divided
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper, divided
3 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar (5% acidity)
2 tablespoons non-iodized salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Directions:
1. Wash cucumbers well with cold water. Trim blossom ends and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices (4 inches long). Place slices in large bowl with turmeric. Pour boiling water over cucumbers; stir well. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours; drain. Rinse and drain again.
2. Place 1/2 tablespoon dill seed, 1 teaspoon each dill weed and mustard seed, 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper in each of 4 hot sterilized wide-mouth pint canning jars. Pack cucumber slices vertically into jars.

3. Mix remaining ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar. Ladle over cucumbers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Cool. Cover jars with metal lids and screw on bands.

4. Refrigerate pickles. Shake jars once a day for 7 to 10 days to redistribute seasonings and blend flavors. Store in refrigerator up to 2 months.

Tip: For a milder pickle, omit the crushed red pepper and/or minced garlic.

I make spears, not slices, but I think you should be able to slice these. Well, I guess I did make some thick slices and they were good. I add Ball's Pickle Crisp to each jar of mine. The same thing used by commercial industry in pickles. Some stores, like Walmart carry it. You can order it online, too.
Anyway, here it the recipe I like. I actually prefer dried dill weed or dried dill seed to fresh, but fresh is good, too. I add a pinch of sugar to cut the tartness since the acid level is needed for safety.
KOSHER DILL PICKLES (HEINZ RECIPE)

4 lbs pickling cukes
14 cloves garlic, peeled & split
1/4 cup salt
2 3/4 cups distilled or apple cider vinegar 5% acidity
2 3/4 cups water
12 to 14 sprigs fresh dill weed
28 peppercorns

Wash cucumbers; remove 1/16 inch from blossom end, cut in half lengthwise.

Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling.

Remove garlic and place 4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and 4 peppercorns.

Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs.

Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

Makes 6-7 pints

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.