Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you pick your dill for making pickles? Right before the seedhead turns brown or after? Or does it matter??

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't anyone pick their own dill?? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
You can use the flower head while still yellow for pickles, and let some go to seed if you want to have dill seed to use later on.
Mickey

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mickey! My neighbor used them after they had gone to seed but that seemed late to me.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I use my dill when the seeds are still green. Always save some of the dried one to plant the next year.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use it green and save seeds for next year like most people do. Just be aware that dill self-seeds easily and if you aren't carefull you will have a whole garden of dill! ---for years to come.

It is easily sold at the farmers Market or the local grocery store. Ono one ever seems to have enough dill.

tinda

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tinda said:
I use it green and save seeds for next year like most people do. Just be aware that dill self-seeds easily and if you aren't carefull you will have a whole garden of dill! ---for years to come.

It is easily sold at the farmers Market or the local grocery store. Ono one ever seems to have enough dill.

tinda
Oh, yes - I know how dill spreads!! I just did a search and found the thread on freezing the dill heads. I think I'll have to do that as I don't have enough cukes to pickle with yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts