Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Im getting ticked here. Now that the turnover time is getting close for all digital tv, the Buts are coming. You will need the convertor box but......you may also need one or two good antennas. WE have satellite on all but one tv. This tv is in the dining room as is for my local channels only so we got a digital box. I have it all set up to recieve the channels in Feb. but now am not sure if our antennas are enough. They probably are for me, but what about other folks? What about people that can't afford to do all this stuff? Antennas arent cheap. Will the gooberment give a coupon for those too? NOPE! I may be looking for things to gripe about since I have cabin fever but this makes me mad!!!!!

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
It isn't likely that the government will be giving coupons for antennas. The allotted funds for converter box coupons is allocated so unless some coupons aren't used coupons for converters will not be available to some that waited too long to apply.

Last I heard there are estimates that 20 million viewers will be without television service when the switchover arrives.

Do we have a right to demand free television signal? As in the past it has been there for the taking if we have the right equipment. The government has just changed the right equipment requirement in order to free up frequency. I expect that cell phone usage has taken so much band width that the additional frequencies from the conversion was necessary. SO, I blame cell phone uses for the television signal problem.

In the Wichita area two stations have already ceased analog broadcasts with one also limiting signal strength of their digital signal while new more powerful equipment is being installed.

Stations are doing tests about weekly to remind folks that analog will cease before long.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well....we're finding ourselves in a dilemma as well. We recently got a digital antenna to hook to a digital TV, and......0 channels...lol. A couple of nights ago our local station did a readiness test. We ran upstairs to turn on the digital TV and apparently we're not ready. So much for progress.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont you still need the convertor box along with the attenna? Unless you have cable or satellite you have to have the box. Then you have to scan for the digital channels now and again when they ALL convert. I can get all the channels except 7 and they said they havent converted yet. I even get channels I never got before. Like I said, this will be fine for me but I feel bad for others. Oh, on a good side, the channels are real clear too.....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
They probably are for me, but what about other folks? What about people that can't afford to do all this stuff?
If people can't afford an antenna or a converter box or a new TV they probably shouldn't be wasting time watching television.

Besides, do people have some god given right to watch television? Are they entitled to have someone from the government come hold their hand and explain things to them and even come to their house and install all the necessary equipment so they can watch TV?

I swear to pete, all of the overwrought hand wringing and crying about the switch to digital television makes me wonder about the ability of people to cope with anything even slightly more complex than making toast. How much more do people expect to be done to hold their hands? The endless PSAs, the workshops and seminars being held by TV stations, the tests during newscasts, the free converter boxes so you don't have to spring for the 50 bucks. It's never enough! It's just too hard! You'd think they were being required to construct a fast breeder nuclear reactor in their living room.

Wanna know what keeps me awake at night? Knowing that all the people who are thoroughly and totally befuddled by the painfully simple and exhaustively explained switch to digital television broadcast standards are actually allowed to vote. Once you wrap your head around that it certainly explains a few things.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
While I'm none too keen on the forced conversion to digital, I am equally none to keen on the notion that the government must pay for it all.

And there are no special antenna needs for digital TV.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If people can't afford an antenna or a converter box or a new TV they probably shouldn't be wasting time watching television.

Besides, do people have some god given right to watch television? Are they entitled to have someone from the government come hold their hand and explain things to them and even come to their house and install all the necessary equipment so they can watch TV?

I swear to pete, all of the overwrought hand wringing and crying about the switch to digital television makes me wonder about the ability of people to cope with anything even slightly more complex than making toast. How much more do people expect to be done to hold their hands? The endless PSAs, the workshops and seminars being held by TV stations, the tests during newscasts, the free converter boxes so you don't have to spring for the 50 bucks. It's never enough! It's just too hard! You'd think they were being required to construct a fast breeder nuclear reactor in their living room.

Wanna know what keeps me awake at night? Knowing that all the people who are thoroughly and totally befuddled by the painfully simple and exhaustively explained switch to digital television broadcast standards are actually allowed to vote. Once you wrap your head around that it certainly explains a few things.
Ya know? You kinda went overboard here with your diatribe. The antenna thing was a joke. Of course they are not going to provide antennas and the convertor box was not free by any means. I paid 40 bucks for mine. There are people that have regular televisions, lets say an older person on a fixed income. Maybe they cant afford to put up an additional antenna so they can get the programming. Maybe they dont know about the new electronics to hook these things up...They are old not stupid! This was just a conversation, not a huge debate.....sheesh!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
While I'm none too keen on the forced conversion to digital, I am equally none to keen on the notion that the government must pay for it all.

And there are no special antenna needs for digital TV.
Apparently there are special antenna needs. We can only watch TV on our analog set right now, not the digital set. We've tried it during the station's 3 minute testing periods and don't get anything on the digital TV.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Well....we're finding ourselves in a dilemma as well. We recently got a digital antenna to hook to a digital TV, and......0 channels...lol. A couple of nights ago our local station did a readiness test. We ran upstairs to turn on the digital TV and apparently we're not ready. So much for progress.
Now remember ya all, NONE of the New Digital channels are on the same channel number~! They have there own unique number. Like 13.1 --- 8.1 ---- 18.1 ---- 25.4 --- and so on, you HAVE to use the Remote Control that came with the Conveter box to bring in that 13 POINT 2 channel.
So your channel that was on channel 5 is now on channel 5.1 ,,-- Your channel that was say 13 is now on channel 13.1 and so on.
And there is NO Special thing to do with the outside antenna at all. My Roof Antenna is now 12 years old and works just great for the Digital Signals. AS LONG as the antenna is a ALL CHANNEL one, that means it HAS to have the UHF Prongs on it besides the VHF ones, as UHF is where most Digital channels are at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just my 2c I've wanted to get rid of the t.v. for a long time one problem I'm hooked. So with this conversion it hopefully will be easy to say bye bye t.v. I find with the tv off the kids act better and seem to listen better, we have more fun. PBS here has already turned over here and the Dttv that we have doesn't work also.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

Nice to see that you are your usual sunny self this morning. :)

BTW, my prototype FBR fits into a coffee can. Nothing beats common household plutonium!! Trouble is that my enriched uranium dealer got deported back to the Ukraine. (they aren't broadcasting in digital yet, that lucky $%#$%$)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Last I heard there are estimates that 20 million viewers will be without television service when the switchover arrives.
That's GOOD! 20 million more people who will - I hope - exercise their brains. :bouncy:

And I may have more people to talk with. Not as many asking if I've seen this show or that one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can build a very good digital TV antenna with coat hangers and wood.
Here's a link to instructions Homemade Digital TV antenna . There's also a utube video or two that shows the construction process.

You can look up information about TV station broadcast coverage and aiming your antenna at antennaweb.org and tvfool.com.

soap

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ya know? You kinda went overboard here with your diatribe. The antenna thing was a joke. Of course they are not going to provide antennas and the convertor box was not free by any means. I paid 40 bucks for mine.
That wasn't directed towards you individually if you took as such I sincerely apologize. That wasn't my intent.

There are people that have regular televisions, lets say an older person on a fixed income. Maybe they cant afford to put up an additional antenna so they can get the programming. Maybe they dont know about the new electronics to hook these things up...They are old not stupid! This was just a conversation, not a huge debate.....sheesh!
Time and technology change. If you can't adapt, then at the risk of sounding harsh- tough. The whole world can't cater to you because you can't or won't. Hey, I'm cheesed that I can't still buy Atari 5200 game cartridges but I don't expect to have my hand held on the switch to playstation 3 or expect the government to subsidize my X-Box.

My point is that the government and broadcast television stations have gone far, far, far above the call of duty when it comes to exhaustively explaining this whole thing. People were even offered free coupons for months. Their fellow taxpayers spent millions so they could watch TV but that STILL isn't good enough. The intransigence of some people to just deal with it instead of asking for more government money, more time and more help is simply infuriating. I'm not talking about people simply asking questions but those who refuse to even do the most cursory research into what is required and then whine that others aren't doing enough and that somehow they're being treated unfairly somehow.

It's all pretty simple. I don't know how much simpler it could be made for people. If you watch television with an antenna you're gonna need a box or a new television. If you currently watch with rabbit ears you're probably going to need a new antenna. If you have an outside antenna you're probably going to need another one, preferably a good directional one hooked to a rotor so you can aim it at the various stations.

If people can't do it themselves or hook everything up themselves they can call their local TV repairman or antenna installer to do it for them. Most TV station even provide a list of such people if asked. I've known instance where the station engineer has even personally came to someone's home to assist them.

The only bad thing about this change is that it wasn't done years ago. People are just making the whole thing needlessly more complicated than it needs to be simply because they refuse to do some cursory reading and learn some incredibly simple information.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Apparently there are special antenna needs. We can only watch TV on our analog set right now, not the digital set. We've tried it during the station's 3 minute testing periods and don't get anything on the digital TV.
Nope, no special antenna needs. Most stations are broadcasting digital right now. Been watching digital over the air for almost a year now.

How-some-ever, setting up a modern digitial TV is an exercise in frustration. It is not simply a matter of plugging the antenna into the back and turning it on. You've got to set it up, tell it that it's using an antenna (default is cable mode), and then tell it to go out seeking stations.

Do be aware that the digital sender towers are often times located very differently than the analog towers. So pointing the antenna "this way" which worked for analog may not work at all for digital. For digital you have to turn the antenna "that way".

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thank you, foxtrapper for trying to help me. We do know that there is more to it than plugging the antenna into the back of the digital TV....we're not electronically challenged...no offence to those who are. We've tried it all and still aren't getting anything.
I went to the website that someone here suggested in a different thread...antennaweb, or some such name. After mapping my location it told me that I wouldn't be able to receive digital signals. But I also entered the location of a friend nearby who is already watching digital and she was also listed as not being able to receive the digital signal. So...it's rather confusing to me.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
None of this bothers us.
We haven't had local TV for 8 years now!!
We have had a television, but just for watching DVD's.

We haven't had an antennae to receive a signal in 8 years.
We haven't had satellite or cable either.

TV, has nothing worth watching!
News and weather can be found on the net.

As for cable and satellite, that's just to expensive and a waste of money to me.

Nope, we will buy an occasional DVD and thats all we bother with.

Heck we point have time to sit in front of the tube that long!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quint

I am looking forward to seeing how many people actually will get up that day, and have a blank TV - as said, if they haven't figured it out by now, what will it take?? It could be kind of entertaining. But, now the govt. is back-tracking, Obama wants to put off the switch until June. I hope they don't, since we are already converted, but have lost a couple of channels because they are broadcasting low-power until the full conversion. I miss those stations.
Also, I think it was fair for the govt. to give the vouchers, since they are the ones who mandated the change and caused all this ruckus to begin with.
The day after the conversion, somebody could make some quick money by visiting all the homes who can't figure out how to hook up their digital box, and charging a fee to do it for them....

·
Registered
236 Posts
We already had an antenna up. We bought our converter box recently. Our local networks have already switched to digial and we pick them up clear as a bell.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts