Digital Camera ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

We are interested in getting a camera for home use. Doesn't have to be professional quality. Am looking at the Fuji A210 (3.2 MP) which I can find for under $130. I would also buy an expanded memory card. We're considering something that will be general use. We've used disposables for the last few years so will not miss the use of a fancy camera with lenses, etc.

Any comments or suggestions?

Do you have a digital camera and do you like it?

2. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

a while back consumer report magazine did a piece on digitals - can't recall details but they did make recommendations - your library might have back copies

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We have a Hewlett Packard photosmart 435 and like it.

We bought it at Wally World for $110 or so.

It has 3.1 MP,5X zoom and can record sound and make a little movie.It takes expandable memory cards and plugs right into the computer to download pic's.

Hope this helps.

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Your ok with Mega pixels, 3 is fine. The next big issue is zoom, you want as much optical zoom as you can get. Digtal zoom is not worth much, 6x minimum.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

6. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought my husband one for Christmas last year and we love it. I agree with Gary in Ohio---optical zoom is a must, the more the better. I'm thinking of buying him a picture printer this Christmas, but have the gotten cheaper?

7. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Whatever camera you finally buy, make sure to invest in an AC adapter as well, those digital cameras go through batteries like no one's business.

8. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

You can also get really great renewable batterries. We LOVE PowerX brand. We've only found them on-line. We have them in our digital camera, all of our sone's battery-operated toys, clocks...just everything that uses batteries.

9. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We have a Canon that we love and don't forget to get a little reader that plugs into the computer. They are only about 20.00 and they save so much time downloading off the camera onto the computer.

I also HIGHLY recommend ofoto.com to have pics developed. I have found here on the east coast where I live that it's very hard to find a local place to develop quality digita photos and they are very expensive.

ofoto is .29 a picture and have sales all the time so you can even wait for a sale to have stuff developed. It is basically the Kodak company. They have the BEST machine available and my pictures i recently got were gorgous!

brural

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I really liked the review site, Cyngbaeld.

The A210 is point and shoot simple and has 3 X optical zoom. I saw the sample photos and think it'll probably meet our need.

Do you guys have a cradle to connect to the PC and charge batteries at the same time? Is that necessary/worth it? Or would a good battery charger be enough?

11. perennial

When hubby bought our cannon, he bought an extra battery and two 125 pics mem cards.

I have found this to be perfect. Because you have an extra battery to use while one is charging. You must get the charger. The two memory cards are great because if we go away or anything, I can just click away without any worries of running out of space.

Although there was an initial expense of buying the camera, charger, card reader for computer, extra mem cards - two(125 pics) and battery. We have had ours about 5 years and haven't had to buy anything else! Becaues we bought the extra battery and mem cards (it only came with a 16 pic card), we always have what we need when we need it. No point in having a great digital camera and not being able to use it because of run out battery or not enough mem on card.

Good luck!

brural

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Card reader? I thought you just used the USB connection to join the camera to the computer to download/upload the pics. Not so?

13. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

BCR

I use the USB, with M/S xp operating system and a 1.4 GH processor to upload my pictures, and it is great- fast.

Re: batteries- I have a set of 8 eveready NiMh AA batteries (30 bucks for 8 AA's and Charger).
    My camera (Toshiba) uses 4 at a time, but a freshly charged set will take 150 pictures, preview them while in the camera, and upload to the computer, and still have power left over.

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Canon,because of lens quality.
    BooBoo

15. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

i got a wally world pentax optio 30 and a 128MB card for it, under 200 bucks. trhis little camera is great. either total auto or total manual, you can set EVERYTHING...

even has a zoom.

once ya intall the interface program to unload it you just plug in a usb port and say "ok" and it loads the pics to your puter.

I have my first cam, a kodak 3200, which you can get on ebay now for @30 bucks. it takes very good pictures but its on full auto all the time and unless its bright sunlight action shots smear. BUT, with a little practice it actually takes better 1MB setting shots than the pentax.

if your just taking snapshots and not of action or moving objects, the kodak 3200 is a great camera to start with or as I keep it, in the truck to take pics of stuff along the way. if I get ripped off, its a 30$ camera to replace.

every month they get cheaper and better made....

16. wyndchym

wyndchym Active Member

The Kodak DC4800 we bought 3 years ago is one of the best investments we ever made. Have taken thousands of hi quality pics with no problems, even after dropping it hard a couple times. It has been a valuable tool for documenting all phases of house and work shop projects. The site provided by Cyngbaeld shows the DC4800’s specs plus the fact that it has been discontinued, but I am sure most cameras with similar specs would be good. (And like others have said, optical zoom is more important than digital zoom.) We burn a lot of our pics on CDs to free up memory space. It is fun to view them on the TV via the DVD player, too.

Besides hi quality pics, our other "must haves" in a digital camera:

Easy to use (I returned a Nikon purchased over the internet because it was too cumbersome to use).

Minimal time delay between snapping the next pic.

The ability to charge the battery pack while in the camera.

Lithium ion battery pack (more pics between battery charges; we can take 500 pics between battery charges using 512 MB compact flash card).

USB download to computer (simple and fast, no need to ever remove flash card).

17. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

We have an HP and really like it. The cradle makes uploads to the computer a cinch, you just push one button and it does the rest. When its done it charges the batteries, too.

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Any comments about CF vs. xD cards? Is it going to be the Beta vs. VHS again? Since Olympus and Fuji are using the xD I expect they will be around a while. My understanding is that none of them are error free.

19. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer to use the card reader so I can continue taking pictures on another card while downloading to the computer. If you use the USB connection your camera is unusable while the download is taking place.

I have a Nikon and it uses compact flash cards, I believe only the Olympus and Fuji use XD. CF have a higher capacity and are used in other applications, this may mean they will be around longer and they may be easier to find.

20. perennial

The reason I use a card reader is because in about 2 minutes or less my 125 pics are on my hard drive and load much, much quicker than if you look at it "through the camera only". And for the fact that I can still be taking pics with the camera and my other card.

Also, i then just delete them off the card in one button stroke and then pop it back into the camera bag.

The reader only cost about $16.00.

Our camera came with a battery that is in a little gray box and the charger plugs right into the outlet with no wires (like a nightlight). It has worked awesome just putting one on that and one in the camera. I always try to have them both charged up when we go on vacation so I am a non stop picture taker. (I do a lot of scrap booking so I take my pics seriously).

Our Camera is: Canon Powershot S40 AiAf
    "Cards" Ritz Big Print Digitial Film Compact Flash 128MB and USB Enabled (we have two of these - expensive but convenient)

Reader: $16.00

BEST INVESTMENT WE EVER MADE, OUR PICS ARE GORGEOUS!