Digging Post Holes in Hard Ground / Rock

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Oct 10, 2007.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in the process of digging T-post holes in some mighty hard caliche / Limestone rock.

How am I doing it - I just bought a Dewalt DW 25551 Rotary Hammer Drill on Ebay to drill T-post holes using a 1 1/2 in diameter Carbide bit. This is an 11 amp drill that will drill using up to 5 inch core bits in concrete. You can find them on Ebay by doing a search for Rotary hammer Drill. Bosch, Hilti, Hitachi, etc are other brand names for these BIG drills.

The drill allows me to put posts where I WANT TO vs where the rocks want me to.

2. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Must be nice!! We're hand digging holes for cedar posts.... and keep running into gravel and rocks... :(

Kaza

3. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a neat solution considering your limestone challenge. We've been "mashing" most of our t-posts in with a loader, but when we hit rock, unless we're quick to back off the pressure, we fold the post in half.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

With such tough places to dig the holes, it would be easier to just buy the holes at the farm store.

5. CGUARDSMAN

CGUARDSMAN Well-Known Member

do you have a rock bar??? they are invaluable for what you are doing!

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

in some places here we use an electric bocsh jackhammer.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My laptop thanks you for the water bath...LOL :p :p

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Once again I've put Fence in about every kind of ground you can think of and I've never dug a Post Hole other than Corner Post and I don't have to do that here. :shrug:

Just seems like a lot of work but more power to you.

big rockpile

9. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

We have to buy our rocks and haul them in.

10. YuccaFlatsRanch

"In some places here we use an electric bocsh jackhammer."

A jackhammer is much the same as the rotary hammer drill, just bigger yet. I drill the holes because I want a hole of a certain diameter (1 1/2 inches) by a certain depth (about 14 inches) to hold the T-post securely. Buying the drill on Ebay cost me $200.00 and the bit was about $60.00 with shipping. I already have a friend who will buy them from me when I am done with my holes. Therefore my net cost is zero.

11. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

Just bought one of these....
    http://www.belltec.net/post_hole.html
    We have acres of solid rock and broken bassalt, so, in order to get a good fence up, we decided to take the plunge and invest in one. Those hammer drills would do me in well before I even got started!

12. YuccaFlatsRanch

Great machine but pricey!!!!! For my corners it was much easier to hire a guy with a bobcat and a rock cutting auger. 50 fence post holes cost me $130.00.

13. Rae Jean

Rae Jean Well-Known Member

I've done that before and I'm doing it now. It makes a great workout.

14. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

i dont believe anything you said about that new drill, bring it over here and show me. if you can drill about 24 holes in my bedrock without any trouble ill believe you!!

15. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

How much for that fancy thing Joy?

16. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

Too much! :) But, with having to dig at least 500-700 holes on this ground and a high percentage of them in rock, it was much cheaper to purchase this machine for $6k than pay someone $50 bucks a hole.
    Maybe we can even get a little bit of our cost back by drilling some holes for our neighbors!

17. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Yucca...

Are your rocks getting out? :rolleyes: I had a 'discussion' with a rich neighbor a few years back... he wanted me to help pay for half of a useless fence... I told him my pine trees very rarely wandered off... and if any did, I'd be glad to pay for whatever damages they might cause... So I was justa wonderin, if the ground is so hard you have to drill holes for your tposts, what you were fencing in, or fencing out...

If your ground is that hard, I take it your fencing for goats?

18. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Even the Bel Tec augars won't dig in very hard rock as well as some might think . I've watched them dig down a few inches and then just quit digging because the cutting teeth needed to be sharpened . I suppose the electric hammer drills might be somewhat effective but for real hole drilling authority there is only one machine .....i.e. the rotary Air Hammer drill and an aircompressor to power it . We knocked the face plates off the Tposts and used the 1.5 inch bit . It takes Big Gonadista's too run one of these air powered rotary hammer drills and most folks under 250 pounds have a hard time keeping the drill in the correct spot . lol , fordy

19. Shinsan

Shinsan Keeping the Dream Alive

Army surplus stores are great too; buy a large bomb crater that can be sliced up in to several smaller holes. Left-over pieces can be minced finely into tiny holes that can be glued together with rubber compound to make irrigation hoses.

20. YuccaFlatsRanch

"So I was justa wonderin, if the ground is so hard you have to drill holes for your tposts, what you were fencing in, or fencing out..."

Sheep and goats and an occasional steer. Fencing out predators and deer.

"i.e. the rotary Air Hammer drill and an aircompressor to power it . We knocked the face plates off the Tposts and used the 1.5 inch bit . It takes Big Gonadista's too run one of these air powered rotary hammer drills and most folks under 250 pounds have a hard time keeping the drill in the correct spot . lol , fordy"

The electric rotary hammer drill is a smaller cousin to the big rotary. I have limestone and hard caliche which don't require heavy construction equipment, yet do require the holes drilled. If I don't drill the holes then the rocks determine where my posts go. This way I GET TO DECIDE where they go. Otherwise, we do it the same as you posted.