Difficult kidding this morning

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nappy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Our older doe, Elly, has kidded six times on our place. Her age is unknown to us though the vet guessed her age to be 4-5 by her teeth when we got her. Only one kidding was different (second kid had it's foot sticking out with the first kid's birthing). Today she kidded easily with one buck at 7:30 am and delivered the afterbirth at 8:30 am. Seemed as if all was going well and she was done. She leaked small amounts of clear liquid after this until she started pushing at 10 am and as she did not present with the water bubble I went in. This is my first experience with this and had a difficult time finding the body parts. One leg was forward, one back so I brought that forward. Could not find the head so thought it felt like the butt end. The hooves were pointing down. Hubby and I discussed this as he was the puller. Surely this was a head first presentation. Well, after a LONG time pulling out came a dead buck. He was dry...no slippery mucus to assist delivery (a "dry"birth?). The kid's hair came off in our hands. His head was turned back so he would have never delivered without help. What a nightmare! Maybe this will help others. I'm just sick over it. I did flush her birth canal with LA200 hopefully to prevent an infection. This old doe also has a "baboon butt" (swollen/discolored vulva). This is her last time as I won't put her through it again. I had just knocked on wood in another post that we hadn't had a real problem with deliveries....yet. Serves me right for bragging. Wishing you all uncomplicated deliveries.

Nappy

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Sorry about the loss and that the mama had a hard time.

3. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

That is great that the doe even delivered a live birth at her age. You must care well for your goats.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I am sorry that you lost one , and had such a time of it., I am really glad to here, mom is doing ok. please keep us posted. you did a great job.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about yer loss...I have a doe due and Now I am worried she may have a hard time...I was a medic so helping her birth aint a problem I have read and reread on all the bad things that can go wrong and what to do...but she is sooooo big...she is a nubian and has been showing mucus for over a week now,her belly dropped so much looks like her spine is going to rip out the skin.....We dont have GOAT! vets or any willing to see her...I have called a few and they all said just wait cause I can see the kidds moving and mom seems to be in good health except very big and hard for her to get up and down...wish me luck...Dale Anne

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My best goat had triplets at age 10. She was full-blooded Nubian. She didnt produce enough milk for one really this last time but her births were all easy...and always 2 does.....with me she had(at 7yo) 2 does first year then trips two years in a row with 2 does and one buck. Before I got her she "ran on" for two cycles...without breeding. She was wonderful. She died right after Christmas almost 11 yo. She gave me so much...I miss her alot.

I think you are right not to breed your girl again and I hope things go well for both of you!

7. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks everyone for your replies. Today is the first time in over a week that I've felt comfortable about leaving the farm as no others are due until next weekend. Elly is up and even walking outside though a bit tired from yesterday's delivery (me too!). I flushed her again with LA 200 because I didn't think the first dose really went in well. She is a strong goat but I'm not sure she will continue to recover.

Nappy