Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Unapologetically me
20,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend went to a wedding this last weekend, and in amongst the pictures she brought back was this barn made from those shipping containers you see around.
I thought it was neat idea.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
that is pretty cool i wonder what that cost em??

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
That's a lot like the barn I want to build, down to the color even. I've already got the framing lumber cut and drying, so I guess I'll stick build/frame it. But that's a pretty neat idea, all the way around.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
RosewoodfarmVA said:
No termite problems!! Just don't put any hay in them though.
why would you not put hay in them? does something happen to the hay?

dean

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
They don't have much air flow. You would need to get some ventilation in there before putting hay it. It will get mighty hot and moist in there without it.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
That is neat. Good idea with the roller door above too.

Longshot38, There's really only a problem if the hay is not completely dry. If there's moisture inside it, it will start to decompose, heat up, and can burst into flames. (Spontaneous combustion.) Same thing can happen if you leave oily rags in a closed container, such as a tool box.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

You can get em for a great price, but shipping is expensive. Works out good usually when you're close to a really big city. There's usually some listed on eBay.

RF

·
Registered
700 Posts
there is a place you can get some of those containers - you can see it on I-81 as you drive north into West Virginia. It is one or two exits south of the Martinsburg WV rt.9 exit. S.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's what all the feed stores around here use to store their hay. They are not cheap in this area. I have been looking for one to use for hay storage and the going rate is $1800-$2000 for a 20 footer plus a delivery charge.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
A guy over on www.tractorbynet.com built one of those a few years ago. Even lived in it for a while. Really turned out nice.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I found my container through a place that advertised in the Little Nickel Want Ads. maybe nowadays craigslist might be the place to look. I lived in a 20ft-er for 7 months, and I did find that mold can be a problem, at least here in the Pacific NW. But then, algae grows on cars here...

·
Registered
634 Posts
there is a place you can get some of those containers - you can see it on I-81 as you drive north into West Virginia. It is one or two exits south of the Martinsburg WV rt.9 exit. S.
Try DM Bowman in Williamsport MD, off 81 just before the WV line. They sell and will deliver shipping containers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts