Different uses for household items...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mommylisa, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Mommylisa

Mommylisa Well-Known Member

While cleaning up and putting away from dinner last night, I was thinking that I use some items in different ways that their original purpose. Such as...

We use the clip clothes pins to keep everything closed like bread bags, cereal bags, chip bags and anything in the kitchen that needs to be keep fresh. Actually I was wishing that I had some of those large grips to put on the cat food bag!

Also, we use canning jars for drinking glasses and to store leftovers in the fridge, so we can see what needs used.

How about you? How do you use things in a different way than their original purpose?

2. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Well we also have a set of jelly jar water glasses, we reuse the plastic sacks groceries come in to store certain left overs, the dog kennel door is secured shut by a straight fireplace iron, I use an old ice box flipped on it's back to store the grain in the chicken coop, Everything that can hold bird seed has become a bird feeder or house including an old metal teapot, big butter container, and pvc piping which now looks like a bamboo hut for birds, old 5 quart pans are for dog food and water, empty juice jugs are cut open for spreading chicken feed easier, I'm sure if thought long enough there is more but most of these items have become common here and I don't notice it until someone says "what the heck was/is that??" LOL

3. amaranth

amaranth New Member

Longhorn Steakhouse (a national franchise restaurant) uses mason jars for drink glassses.

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

i used to use a big snow blower as a cornstalk grinder.

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Bread ties are the most common thing with us, they can do just about anything. the other day dd's baby doll "needed" a ponytail and thats all I could find. She was quite happy with it. And we use left over diaper pins in a pinch when buttons fall off, and usually forget to replace the buttons...

6. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

We use kitchen garbage bags as dust covers when storing things in the basement for the next season. I also have flannelbacked plastic tablecloths over my air conditioners that are in storage.

White washcloths are my favorites for dusting and cleaning.

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Just started using my electric coffee grinder to grind wheat flour.

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Chipped canning jars are used for storing leftovers and for making greenhouses over hard and softwood shrub cuttings. Also for storing sewing notions and buttons.

Saving pie tins for securing on top of fence posts to help slow rotting. used plastic knves are used for plant id (written with grease pencil).

Zip lock bags with holes are used for drawer organization and for mini greenhouses for starting seed.

pots with broken handles are used for outside animal food and water bowls,

9. daffodil

daffodil flower lover

use grocery bags for garbage liners and also use for quick covers over leftovers on plates and use them to cut peels into, just bag up and redump in compost and then toss.

use the clothepins also for clips on chips, etc

reuse little yoplai trix yogurt cups--the ones for kids with cute designs for small drinking cups

my husband is constantly using wire hangers for stuff, not sure what, but I find mangled hangers all over the place :haha:

my mom saves the large coffee tins for her tomato plants, as cloches

tops of bleach bottles as bird seed scoopers, etc.

use any large plastic food containers to store dry goods

save baby food jars--store them with safety pins, nails, tacs, etc.

save old drawers or wooden boxes under my bed for storage

save pretty cards for future craft use

my mom washes out zip lock baggies and air drys them--I toss mine, but I thought that was really frugal

I confess, sometimes I wash my plastic forks and spoons and use several times til they break!

I like to keep shoe boxes for storage too

I keep my bubble wrap for reuse--wrap up Christmas nic nacs and such

I save my onion set netting for homemade suet

we use margerine tubs for large cereal bowls

I braid ole cotton t-shirts for a long-lasting dog chew--found that's cheaper than buying them and he only recks them anyhow

10. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

I save the little scoops that come in dry laundry soap. Great for little jobs such as:
    scooping dry cat food, bunny pellets, and parrot food into their food bowls;
    scooping potting soil for household plants;
    left in the bag of flour, handy scooping while baking;
    as little seed starter pots (can invert another on top and secure handles to make each a mini "greenhouse" while germinating);
    for filling small-opening type of bird feeders.

Old soap remnants put in small-celled mesh onion bags..knot it up and use as soap scrubbie to shower with.

Old candle stubs melted down in pot on stove. Toss saved pine cones in melted wax to coat, cool, and use as a firestarters.

Leftover odd spice containers (love the plastic ones) or baby food jars and refill with my own dried herbs, soup de jour:) Also for storing dried veggie/flower seeds for storage.

Clear lids to plastic tubs of food stuffs for indoor plant saucers.

Margarita buckets! Can get the mix in a plastic bucket (a little more than a gallon..you add your own alcohol, mix and freeze in bucket for frozen margaritas..we call them "buckets-o-fun", an indulgence on our warm southern summer nights!). Great for many uses/storage and just the right size for kitchen counter to toss kitchen scraps in and cover with it's lid. Has a handle, great for hauling to the compost pile, wash and reuse. And what fun while emptying another bucket!
    ;) :dance:

Dee

11. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Can't forget the milk jugs with the bottom cut out for covering little plants in the spring in case of a late frost. :D

12. abbysnanna

abbysnanna Member

odd coffee cups and flower vases for storing pens pencils, paint brushes.
    small curtian rod for ribbon storage and easy access in the craft closet.
    closet in bedroom as a craft room
    old jars for storage of buttons.
    small syrup bottles to store needles.
    old sewing box without lid for craft magazine holder.
    child's chair as a plant stand
    wooden crates for doghouse
    crystal bowls from the thrift store for soap dishes
    coffee cans for nails and screws
    old dish pans on the back porch to hold muddy boots
    and the list goes on

13. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Old sheets are used as sleds to haul compost or weeds to the compost.

A linoleum cutter is my favorite weeding tool.

I put measuring cups in sugar and flour bins, tsp in baking soda and powder.

14. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

clothes pins with wire hangers to hang slacks from their bottoms and skirts from the waistband

old electric skillet filled with water to set dog's food bowl in on porch so ants don't get food first. dog drinks the water afterward.

I buy garbage cans on wheels whenever they're on sale. use them for out of season clothes or other storage (replace lid with card board or wooden circle for end table. cover with table cloth, top with glass circle, then a lamp!
    also use them on the back porch for empty soda can collection to turn in for vacation spending money and to keep dog & poultry food in.

old octagonal wood and wrought iron coffee table for chicken tractor for chicks. wrapped fencing around it and topped it with kiddy pool held on with bungy cords. did not deter the panther, however, he just punched in the fencing from the side.

plastic forks and spoons are washed recycled to the picnic basket or to the kids lunch boxes.

onion netting is for soap bar when camping or outdoor shower. tie closed and hang from tree. drips dry and is always there when you need it. actually, we have one in the kids' shower upstairs.

empty laundry detergent boxes: one to store each type of magazine. can hold a whole year of some.

BBQ tongs: to reach things on high shelves in kitchen. to pick up stuff in yard without leaving my lawn chair.

15. jclvpjm

jclvpjm New Member

My mom uses a coffee grinder to grind up arthritis remedy pills for the horses. She then puts it in their grain.

16. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I save bubble wrap and use it for window insulation.

Empty coffee cans. I take top and bottom off and use a tin snip to cut down the seam. Flatten it out and nail over holes where needed such as on chicken coop. The lids can also be nailed over holes.

17. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Metal dust bin, which is like a mini garbage can, to store grain.

Box lids for homemade soap form

PVC pipe for soap form

Mesh onion bags as pot scrubbers

small vinyl tarp to drag hay bale

kids sled to haul water in 5 gal wall mud buckets

square flat knife from my knife set to cut soap into bars