Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://newsone.com/2843790/did-you-...racy-to-assassinate-dr-martin-luther-king-jr/

Did you know that the US government was found guilty of conspiracy to kill Martin Luther King and it is raised as a news story in January of this year? I never saw anything about it but evidently it is a big deal in some circles.

I bumped into this accidently and it got me thinking that this may be why none of us can ever reach consensus. Every group, from liberal to conservative, has it's own set of facts to feed it's readers and there is zero attempt to make universal standards. I can see why there are so many conspiracy theory that people swear by- it's fed by the choice of media.

They chose not to mention what happened after that.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
LOL this should have been a story that the media loves - if it had "legs" - but it didnt.

A local jury in a civil trial - 30 years after the fact, listens to testimony, that the shot came from here or came from there and that the mafia was involved. etc.

Anyone who has ever served on a jury, know that jurors believe whatever they want to believe. Nothing else matters.

The jury believed one of the key witnesses, even though it appears he has had a difficult time keeping his story straight over the years.

In these statements, Jowers has repeatedly changed key aspects of his new story, disavowed his confession, and even retreated to his long-standing account of the previous 25 years. For example, he not only identified two different people as the assassin, but also most recently claimed that he saw the assassin and did not recognize him. Jowers also abandoned his initial allegation that he received $100,000 with which he hired a hit man to kill Dr. King, claiming instead that he merely held the money for the conspirators. Additionally, Jowers has been inconsistent about other aspects of the alleged conspiracy, including his role in it, Raoul's responsibilities, whether and how Memphis police officers were involved, and the disposal of the alleged murder weapon.[2][3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyd_Jowers

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the point is, that having read this story, and not having been around at the time, and being very much inclined to believe it in the first place, there is now many more people for whom the facts are firmly establihed that there was a government conspiracy against King in his death. Since they are predisposed to believe it, they will not go further to research it for themselves. It is now fact in their mind.

And this applies to a whole lot of other "facts" too. It is seen daily where some story is linked here that is so unlikely as to be highly questionable, yet people get angry over it as if it were true.

Now it's nice to be smug and superior because of catching out this kind of story but how easy is it to be swayed by more subtle stories where the ridiculousness is not so clear yet it is only a partial report deliberately editing to be more palatable. How do you "know" anything that you have not seen for yourself?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
It's inevitable that any story told or written by humans will be in some way influenced by their personal beliefs. Even the simple 5 Ws of journalism can be slanted with just the choice of a word in the description. Throw in a "wiggle" word, like believe/think/theorize/expect, and a theory sounds a lot like straight forward fact.

How do you believe anything you haven't seen with your own eyes? Trust your instinct, parse each word, examine the source for past biases, and hope your "mostly" right. By the way, magicians would be out of business if everything you saw had to be true too.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
But the point is, that having read this story, and not having been around at the time, and being very much inclined to believe it in the first place, there is now many more people for whom the facts are firmly establihed that there was a government conspiracy against King in his death. Since they are predisposed to believe it, they will not go further to research it for themselves. It is now fact in their mind.

And this applies to a whole lot of other "facts" too. It is seen daily where some story is linked here that is so unlikely as to be highly questionable, yet people get angry over it as if it were true.

Now it's nice to be smug and superior because of catching out this kind of story but how easy is it to be swayed by more subtle stories where the ridiculousness is not so clear yet it is only a partial report deliberately editing to be more palatable. How do you "know" anything that you have not seen for yourself?
Good point. In the end it's just people.

Jury members and those who read the story, simply believe what they want to believe.

I remember seeing Oliver Stones's "JFK" with some well schooled friends who wondered if the assassination inquiry should/would be re-openend, based on some of the new "facts" brought up in the movie. :rolleyes:

I couldn't believe my ears. ;)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
So true, and even when it's on the web, hard to say if it's true. But yes, different sources color stories in different ways. And isn't there a quote, something like 'history is written by the victors', or something like that?

I wish I knew more about what was going on but admit that sometimes it's nice to be in my little insulated bubble. Depends on my mood. Today I wish to remain an ostrich!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts