Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to all- I just did my morning walk-through in the garden, and the resident yard armadillo got under the rabbit fence and dug up some of my first-crop broccolli and cauliflower plants last night. i replanted the dug up plants- hope they make it- supposed to rain later today- that will help.
Anybody got any ideas for keeping 'dillers out of the garden? they are very strong, very good at digging, and very dumb- a bad combination, I think.
If it weren't for digging up the plants, I'd welcome them- this one did a dandy job of weeding around the plants- the ones he didn't dig out.
good day to all- Ed mashburn

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Dillos are excellent diggers and normally fences won't deter them. I had one plough up an entire garden one night. The only sure-fire was I know of keeping them out of the garden is to trap and relocate them or shoot them. Sorry I don't have a better solution.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I sure do sympathize with you!! I have been dealing with those pests for years. This year I acquired some fence sections. I made hoops out of them and put a straight section across the base at each end, which held the hoop in place. That kept the armadillos out of my rows for the most part, but sometimes they did manage to dig underneath them.

Since the armadillos tend to follow edges, you could try placing some boards around the outside of your rows. In theory the armadillo would bump along the length of the board and stay out of your row.

I ended up just trapping them this year. I think that I am at 7 or 8 trappings so far. When I think I have the problem nipped, along comes another one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts