Different Goat Breeds Different Requirements?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rio002, Oct 27, 2006.

1. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Hi all, we recently got 1 pygmy doe and 2 nigerian dwarfs (both boys are fixed). We used to have a Nubian/Pygmy goat that had an unfortunate end, and now I am just double checking that I am feeding/caring for these guys correctly. So naturally, I am curious, is the feeding of a goat basically the same no matter the breed ( they have grazing room, get a small alfalfa hay flake at night and a couple handfuls each of wet cobb each night)Their weight and everything seems just fine, they are very active and have a 4x10 stall full of hay for winter, a ramp and ball to play with ect. With the Nigerian dwarfs being so small--does this breed need a heat light? our lows temps. here get to about 1-2degrees for a week or so in the winter but average in the 20-30 range. I am extending the corral a bit before winter sets in and am curious--can they eat pumpkin and squash vines/stalks, or shoud I take those out--they currently can't reach them. Any thing else I should know about these little breeds? Thanks so much. ;)

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

There are differences in care between various goat breeds, and violating them can produce "issues". For example, I will not raise Nubians, because their care is quite a bit different than what my Alpines get. They seem to need all sorts of special stuff that the Alpines don't. They have different tendencies in regard to milk production and the propensity to lay on flesh, so the feeding is different, too.

But as for minis, I really don't know. Yes, they can eat pumpkins, but they will not usually eat the vines. It's a good idea to chop teh squash/pumpkins up so that they can get a good grip on them, remembering that goats have no upper incisors.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Your Alpines, however, do require constant undivided attention, first place status at all times, and, well, whatever else they want at any given moment. At least mine do...and I love 'em dearly!

Ruth

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Make any feeding changes slowly with your goats. be careful about feeding them large amounts of any kind of vegatation or veggies or fruits that they may not be used to. I also wonder about the "wet COBB". Is it common to wet goats' feed in the cold north?

5. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Thanks all glad to know I am on track so far :)

TexCountryWoman-- Hi there, what I meant by "wet cobb" --that's what the feed store calls it and that just denotes whether the grain has molasses in it, I feed the type with molasses also known as "sweet feed" vs. the "dry" or "plain grain" version that when they get out they aren't as likely to come back for. :)

Thanks again!

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I do believe "wet COBB" is refering to COB with molasses. In Ohio, when we were just feeding our Jersey cows, we could buy COB or wet COB. One was just grains and one was grain with molasses. We bought dry COB for our cows.
    I may be wrong on this, but thats what it meant in southern Ohio 15 years ago..... :)

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ooops....guess I should have waited for your response....glad to know I was right! :rolleyes:

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

learn somethin' new every day, LOL! here it's just "sweet feed" or even "horse and mule".