Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mare is in a kill pen in WA. Lucky for her they try to find homes for the nicer horses and someone has a hold on her-she's paid for, they have a week to pick her up--anyway I thought she was really striking and the shine is natural, not from grooming. I have no idea what would cause this color and shine, but I am guessing it's a genetic mutation of some kind?http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Attachments

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
I think she's palomino champagne. The color is striking.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Looks like a palomino with a shiny coat because she has been cared for.
She does look very well cared for especially for being in a kill pen.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Well, she's certainly a beautiful color! I'm glad someone paid for her, wish I could rescue such a pretty horse, but no place to put her myself. Since she'd be mostly eye candy here, that color would be a huge plus! lol You could just admire it day after day.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Part Akhal-Teke. There was a breeding experiment where the Nez Perce tribe imported a few akhal-teke horses to cross with their appaloosas, in an attempt to return the breed to its original condition from before the time when the US government crossed in draft horses.

That looks like an akhal-teke coat, with that metallic sheen.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She was picked up yesterday, I've been watching. If she hadn't been sold, I'd have gone to look at her and probably brought her home. This particular operation seems to care about the horses and posts pictures and information about them, although they do probably make more money on the ones sold to the public, rather than shipped.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Well, if they make more on the ones sold than they do the ones shipped, its a win/win situation for them and for the horses. It's more work and money for them to sell them than to ship them too. I've been to their website many times, always glad when one gets a home.

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
Yep....gotta be some akhal-teke in there somewhere for that metallic sheen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts