Differences between 1960's 70's 80's & 90's backhoes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Feb 26, 2005.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Tired of renting and borrowing. I'm looking at purchasing my own personal backhoe. Something along the Case 580 size but would be fine with a JD, or Cat. As I do with a lot of the equipment I get, I would like to find one in need of minor repairs and thus get it in a price range where I can afford it. Yes, I am aware of the pitfalls involved in buying "projects".

My problem is I am not sure how far back in time I ned to go to get one. I know with dozers you get to a certain year and you loose your 6 way blade to a 4 way, and if you get into the 60's you wind up with cable opporated blades. I was wondering if anyone can tell me of any significant changes made to the hoes similar to these that I should watch out for. Also if someone has the time and the knowledge I'd like to know what are the differences between the E,C,K, B, SL and super K etc.. I think one of them has a 12 disk cd changer in it and a cowl induction hood right?

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............If I was YOU , and was trying to establish a Datum for an equipment purchase I'd Attend a Ritchey Bros. Equipment auction at the closest site to my home . They will have , BY far , the largest selection of models by all mfgers for you to peruse . And , you can arrive a day early and inspect , start , and drive any\all models that might endup being in your "budget" . All of the Case backhoes , 350\450 small track loaders\blades , and 480\580 tractors w\box blade(s) utilize the 4btv , 4 cylinder Cummins engine with varying levels of HP\torque . If you attend enough auctions you'll eventually find a tractor to fit both your budget and your needs . There is also a monthly equipment auction just south of Tulsa I believe that is supposed to attract lots of buyers and sellers so you might want to attend several of those to Inculcate yourself to the relative values of equipment in your area . fordy.. :eek: :)

3. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Remember Case is the number one manufacturere of backhoes, so I would stick with Case, also number one in rental hoes so that tells you something as well.
    The older the model, the less there is to go wrong.
    The 530 will do just about anything a 580 will do, just need to take a bit longer doing it. That said we just picked up a 530 for $1800:)

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have an old Case 580 ck and I can tell you it is a real pain to get engine parts for. I'd sell it for a Ford in a heart beat.

5. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

We have an old Ford 2000 Industrial (1963?) that dh bought to do the excavating for our house back in 2002. It's been mostly sitting in the yard ever since, does need some minor work (we've done minor work to it, but like most of you know, heavy equipment seems to continually need some little thing tweaked or replaced). It digs like a charm, but like I said it has mostly sat since fall of 2002.

Anyone interested in it? If so, I can get more info from dh for you.

6. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I don't know how much help this is, but this is what I do for a living, so I'll kick in my two cents worth.

You get what you pay for. A ten year old backhoe with 7000 hours on it is pretty much stuffed. Yes, you can did the odd trench with it, even a basement or two. It will break regularly, and probably won't start when it is cold, even when you plug the thing in. You will probably spend an hour working on it for every three or four you operate it. You will NEVER make money with a machine like this! Over one job, perhaps.... Over the long term it is impossible. Your customers will become frustrated with your lack of reliability, your truck drivers will be frustrated when you send them home at noon for the third time in a week because your machine just blew another hose, and your buisness will fall apart.

If you want to make money with a machine, buy brand new. If you can't make enough over the next five years to pay off a 100 grand for a backhoe, you don't have enough work or motivation to make your company fly.

The new machines beat the old ones in every comparison. Greater breakout force, greater reliablity, better fuel economy, faster cycle times, more operator comfort and control, greater digging depth and dumping height. You can tell me all you want about the bullet proof "old machines", but I run these things twelve hours a day. I assure you the new machines are MUCH better.

Pete

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

case back hoes do have some problems case engined ones have problems with cranks breaking and some cummins cam trouble .also teraing up rear diffs . cat parts are expensive but on the whole not needed . jd though i am not a fan of 80's up deeres are good parts well priced. jcb good and good parts supply . ih had engine problems. ford/new holland good strong hoe parts priced well and no major problems.we have all brands near us but still go blue!!