Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 f-250, automatic tranny,7.3 L turbo
I'm having an intermittant problem with it....she just dies once in a while, but usually fires back up immediately or within a coupla' minutes. Happened again yesterday, but didn't fire back up this time until I'd nearly killed the bateries trying to start it.
The problem appears to be completely random, and I can't see any pattern as to when it happens. It happens at interstate speeds, sitting at idle, and anywhwere in between, regaurdless of if the engine is cool or at full operating temperature. It'll stall in park, drive, or reverse.
It can sometimes happen three times in a bay, and sometimes I go weeks with no problem.
I'm fairly familiar with working on older gasburners, but this is my first diesel (and first ford), and I've no idea where to begin.
Anybody got any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Is the Ck engine light on when running? Does the check engine light work?
I'm not a Ford diesel expert by any means. They did have problems with the injector wiring harnesses on some of the electronic injected 7.3L. There is also a fuel control that gums up if the oil isn't changed often enough.
What's the mileage and condition of the truck/engine? Of course the first thing to check or change with a diesel is the fuel filter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It sounds like it could be the cam position sensor. They are notorious for that type of problem. I have a 2002 and received a recall notice a couple months ago, you might want to check with the dealer.

It is easy to replace, I have carried a spare for years. I bought it from an International dealer, much cheaper than Ford. The link below has the part numbers.

If you do a search on powerstroke cam position sensor you'll get a bunch of hits, here is one: http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/144/article/How_to_change_the_Camshaft_Position_Sensor_on_a_73_Power_Stroke_Diesel.html

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the Ck engine light on when running? Does the check engine light work?
I'm not a Ford diesel expert by any means. They did have problems with the injector wiring harnesses on some of the electronic injected 7.3L. There is also a fuel control that gums up if the oil isn't changed often enough.
What's the mileage and condition of the truck/engine? Of course the first thing to check or change with a diesel is the fuel filter.
No, the check engine light doesn't stay on an I assume it works, as it lights up with the rest of the indicators when I turn the key over to the first stop.

226,000 miles, and I change the oil regularly, but I got the truck used with maybe 150,000 on it. The miles I've put on it are hard ones, though, as the truck hardly moves without a double-axle trailer with a tractor on it or a fourteen foot hydraulic dump trailer in tow.
I've no reason to believe the engine has excessive wear, as it runs really strong with no smoke. Except for this little glitch, she runs like a new one.
Will check the manual for fuel filter location.
Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like it could be the cam position sensor. They are notorious for that type of problem. I have a 2002 and received a recall notice a couple months ago, you might want to check with the dealer.

It is easy to replace, I have carried a spare for years. I bought it from an International dealer, much cheaper than Ford. The link below has the part numbers.

If you do a search on powerstroke cam position sensor you'll get a bunch of hits, here is one: http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/144/article/How_to_change_the_Camshaft_Position_Sensor_on_a_73_Power_Stroke_Diesel.html
Hmmm...I searched it, and that looks like a REAL possibility. When it happens again, I should be checkin' to see if the tack is moving while it cranks over, as that sounds like a pretty solid indicator.
Thanks very much for your input.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
In any Diesel engine the only reasion that will cause it to die is No compresion or no fuel. Check the fuel filter and get it chainged that is the cheapest thing todo if it still dies check the cam positioner.

6,637 Posts

]
there ya go! My 97 did the same thing, and my dad's 99 did too. Both were fixed by ford under the recall.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
the new computer controlled diesels are not like the old all mechanical diesels. there are a hundred things that would cause the lack of fuel, (shutting down fuel flow)thus engine to stop. the cam position sensor is one of the most often mentioned problems with the ih ford engine. when mine started going bad it acted all the world like a fuel starvation problem. let it sit and it would crank and run for a while. what was going on was when heat got to the sensor, it would act up, cooled it worked fine. i kept replacing fuel filters (while the engine and sensor were cooling) but it turned out to be the cps.

at a quarter of a million miles, the engine is almost broken in. but little plastic/rubber/chafed wiring problems will probably start showing up

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like Jackpine Savage may have taken the Golden Wrench award for today.
Happened to me again on the way to get me some Skoal, and sure enough, the tach stayed on zero while I tried to crank it.
Tks, JS...I don't know any diesel mechanics around here, and sure wasn't lookin' forward to dropping the proverbial soap, what with possibly having to go through the dealeship.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You still need to change the fuel filter, 76,000 miles on a filter is a stretch. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I change both filters on my Detroit every 20,000...cheap ins...changing them on the side of the road is NO fun..BTDT..

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope that fixes it for you. It still may be worth a trip to the dealer, with the recall it might not cost you a thing.
Dealership fixed it free yesterday. Took 'em a while, but plenty of hunting magazines to read in the lobby. No more problems so far.
Tks again, y'all!

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Looks like Jackpine Savage may have taken the Golden Wrench award for today.
Happened to me again on the way to get me some Skoal, and sure enough, the tach stayed on zero while I tried to crank it.
Tks, JS...I don't know any diesel mechanics around here, and sure wasn't lookin' forward to dropping the proverbial soap, what with possibly having to go through the dealeship.
---- overpaid dealer ripoffs, Oh wait they fixed it for free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts