Die sick...from "love"?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My 5 year old Nigie doe, who has always been extremely hardy and healthy, is off her feed and having diarrhea.

We noticed this 3 mornings ago. When we opened the "starting gate" and released all the girls for their morning grain, she just stood there. Right off, I knew something wasn't right. This is the herd queen, also the greediest, bossiest doe in the pack. She races from trough to trough head butting and ear biting everyone except her 7 month old triplets.

Then we let the bucks out on the other side of the fence. All day she mooned at the fence with the Nigie buck, so I figured it was being in heat that made her this way. She did eat some grain and hay that day.

Next day, she once again didn't race to the grain. But this day, she didn't race to the fence either. She walks around looking like she is under the weather, and even refused to eat handheld grain. She only nibbled hay. a few times she went to the fence and the buck was acting like she was in heat, but she just stood there for a few minutes and then laid in the sun chewing her cud occasionly all day. I noticed she had a bit of what might have been diarrhea on her butt.

Today, she came out and did eat some grain, but not with her usual headbutting gusto at all. And she definitely had diarrhea on her butt this AM.

I noticed her bag is much smaller as well. I am wondering if the combination of weaning her babies and being in heat is making her feel ill. I know that when I get my period I get headaches, nausea and abdominal upsets. Could the cydectin I gave them a week or so ago have upset her intestinal flora?

Could the hormone fluctuations of being in heat combined with weaning cause her to be off her feed? What about the diarrhea?

I was unable to take her temp as the thermometer has developed legs and walked off. I am getting one today.

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

It could have upset her if she had a particularly heavy parasite load. Make sure you get her some drench and probiotics and I'd probably give her a good dose of antibiotics too (5 days). Don't let this go any further without treatment. I would also probably isolate her if possible.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would also give vit-b complex to curb her appetite again.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have Vit B, what dosage per lb?

I did give probiotics today. What antibiotic would you suggest? I was thinking of Sulmet because it is good for digestive tract bugs...The only way I could isolate her would be to put her in the kidding stall in the big girls barn...I think she would be so upset to be separated from her daughters and isolated, although prior to kidding I think she felt like she was in the lap of luxary by herself in there, while my Nubian almost tore the walls down.

But perhaps I will, and see how she takes it...

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

jillis i do give 5cc for an adult goat.
    i talked to a breeder last week and the conversatoin came up about diarhea. she said she uses neomycin and has very good results with it. you can get it at TSC or Jefferspet.com
    i don't know about dosage but maybe it will tell on the label :)

6. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I would bolus for scours. There is a calf pill available at most feed stores. Or combine tylan with pen g. 5cc each, IM

7. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

When ever a goat is just a little of Vit-B should be given right away-- I give 3-6cc it can not be over done. I would give Nut Meg also for the runs-- if she is not better in a day or so- hit with Pen G--keep up with the Vit-B and/or treat for cocci with Sulmet.
    Oatmeal is also great to bind them up..
    Liz iN NY
    Teacup Farm

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Well, I went out to do chores last night, armed to the elbows with remedies, and guess what?

The doe was fine! Back to her usual self, and actually, looking great! She's always had a big, fat belly jutting out on both sides. Even when she is not pg, people always assume she is ready to give birth. You should have seen her right before she had the triplets! Mama mia! I thought they were gonna name a planet after her!

I got her last year about 6 weeks after she had given birth. And they had already bred her. She gave birth on March 2 to three beautiful, chubby, healthy doelings. She nursed all three up until extremely recently and never lost weight. Having no experience with postnatal does, I had nothing to compare her to. When I went to look at some Nigies at another dairy farm (whose owner is now my goat friend!), I was shocked at the sleekness of her does who had given birth far more recently than mine. I admired them openly ans my face was smiling as I babbled on about how beautiful her goats are, while in the back of my mind I was actually standing there with a shocked and dismayed expression internally, wondering, "What am I doing wrong?"

Tell me if this makes sense: Even though I have been worming regularly, this last time I switched to cydectin. Could she have been carrying a large worm load that caused her to be a little bloated, rather than actually that fat? She looks so healthy now! 2 to 3 days of a low appetite would not make anyone lose THAT much weight! (I only wish it could :p )

She now looks as sleek as my friend's does, and very energetic! I think perhaps the cydectin working on that big worm load, combined with the effects of her bag drying up and going into such a strong heat cycle is what got her off kilter.

She is still moaning at the fence for the buck...I hope she is this eager in a month or so when I start breeding!

9. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Great to hear your doe is doing better.. It is great to hear news like that.

Just one thing also maybe reason she was not eatting much to was because she may had ate something that made her stomach a little upset because they can do that at times.

Good Luck with your goats.

10. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member