Didn't know I had those muscles! (first spinning)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Nov 16, 2006.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I discovered some hand/wrist muscles I didn't know I had! I finally pulled out the drop spindle yesterday to try spinning for the...well, second time. We had two grocery bags full of white Angora wool, and I've only had the bunnies about two months!

So...yesterday I started on the bag of combings since that wasn't as nice and I wanted to get some practice b/f tapping into the sheared wool...today I started in on the sheared stuff, but the spindle is full....so, now I need to wind it off onto something.

The yarn is pretty uneven, but I guess it'll be ok for a crochet project that uses nubby yarn. That sheared wool was harder to spin than the combed stuff! It must have been too short...too much wool left on the rabbits. :cool:

We're not going to talk about how long this all took, ok? :rolleyes:

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Rabbitgal,

Make 'bobbins' for your drop spindle, so you don't have to wind off. A circle the size of your whorl, with a hole the size of your upright, and a tube just bigger than the upright. Slit the bottom of the tube into tabs, and glue them on the underside of the circle. Let dry before using, of course.

You can make a bobbin stand out of a piece of wood with dowels set in it to hold them, and then ply right off if you want to ply.

Have fun!
    Meg

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Meg, thanks for the idea! That's great...I'll have to try it. It will sure save some time...