Did Your Mom Have A Orange And Green Kitchen?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by baysidebunny, Mar 4, 2005.

1. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

Let's include that swirly glass patterned rooster set that sat on top of the fridge?

How about a pink bathroom with a black swan on the toilet tank?

Did you also have green shag carpeting in your livingroom that your dad was proud to measure with a yard stick? (our nieghbor did)

...and did your mother crank up the concole sterio with tunes of Eddy Arnold and Ray Price? It was cool if she threw the 5th deminsion record on top of the stack! ;)

Sorry Mom. just reflecting. :D

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope! I grew up in a basic country house made of pine...floors, ceilings and walls. The bathroom was painted a pale green though.

However, my parents did have a console stereo with CHA CHA CHA records, etc. LOL...a guy my dad worked with gave it to him...record collection and all. Us kids had a great time with those records.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Let's see;

The kitchen was green but if I remember correctly the hood over the stove was a pale orange or peach color. Appliances were golden colored, cabinets were blonde wood, and linoleum was green and gold.

The entire house was long shag; green with gold highlights in the living/family rooms, sky blue in the bedrooms.

Bathroom linoleum was green and gold but no swan but it did have a bunch of empty ornamental Avon bottles on the shelves. The medicine cabinet had 2 vertical light tubes on the sides that nearly blinded you.

When mom got older she tired of the shag she had a company come in to replace carpets. Underneath was beautiful hardwood so my brother rented a floor sander and re-did the entire place, which is now gorgeous.

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

My mom never redecorated any of the houses we lived in so none of them where her colors.

When I bought house I live in now, the kitchen had Pink and Green tile on the walls, a pink sink, stove, and refigerator, and the ceiling painted green. The exterior was also pink and green. Looked like something staight out of the 50's.

I still have the refrigerator.

5. baysidebunny

:eek: Oh my gosh. I had forgotten all about that!
    We had a mirror like that too!
    :D

6. baysidebunny

wolf, My ex hubby and I had a pink refridgerator in a rental once. It had a dome shaped top and a huge metal handle. It was cute and in my opinion, the highlight of the place. :)

7. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Growing up, everything in our house was avocado green and coin gold. The kitchen stove was 'coppertone'. We didn't have shag carpet because my mom hated wall to wall carpet so we had an oval braided rug in the livingroom-avocado green to match the 'early american' living room suite.

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

coalroad
    My mom's house was like yours.

I really don't care for avocado appliances and coppertone... "EARTHTONES'.

I'm more blue, purple, pink, etc major colors.

But I do remember buffing the hardwood floors with cut up mattress pads, when mom would paste wax them.
    And we had the braided rugs also.
    Angie

9. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

My wife hates the thing. But it won't quit running. When I pulled it out from the wall I found the original sales receit from July 1951. That's when the house was built.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We had gold shag carpet to go with the burnt orange couch and burnt lemon chair. LOL. Granny Pearl's house had the pink tub tho. We had orangey/red counter tops in the kitchen too. The neighbors had sparkles in their textured ceiling and I was jealous!

11. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

--SIGH--Mom didn't have it--I did!

12. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Oh boy...my parents had all the avacado green appliances too. Green shag carpet in one room, gold shag carpet in another. Times have changed so much and thankfully their taste did too...LOL

13. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

Just the thought of those green and orangey shag rugs is enough to make me shudder. We had to vaccuum so as to keep the tracks down and the shag nice and shaggy. LOL.

Thank Goodness times change and so did moms' decorating taste.

14. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

HARVEST GOLD!!! And the kitchen cabinets were birch with about 10,000 coats of orange shellac ...

My best friend's mom's kitchen was avocado. Egads! :no:

And I had a "French Provincial" bedroom set from Sears ... white formica with gold streaks and trim.

My parents' bedroom suite was "blonde" wood (actually a kind of yellowish-grayish since they smoked like chimneys!). I actually use their bedroom set still ... I sponge-painted and stenciled it, though!!!

The bathroom had pink ceramic tiles but the tub and sink were blue.

Could be worse, though ... I once lived in a trailer house built in 1959 that had a TURQUOISE gas range! Now, try finding kitchen accessories to match THAT! :haha:

15. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Actually... a Pink & Green tile bathroom.

16. baysidebunny

Oh tell her she's fortunate!
    I would ask you to place it on the barter board when your thru with it but the shipping would be a killer!
    :(

17. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

we had the pimk bath room. my aunt hqd a piml baath room, with black ceiling and floor. you could see your self in them. ahahaha :haha: :haha: :D we had the orange and green shag, that had to be raked. and brown furnature, that was cool in the sixtys, before that , we had a white living room, and red furnature. yup. been there, and thank GOD, lived through it. and one time my dad, painted the house,, forest green. dad told mom it was kelley green, since that was her maiden name, well, she made him paint it white. and boy it took a lot of paint to paint it, but dad was lucky, a guy came through that was putting this new aluminim siding on, so mom got white really fast, and dad was glad. saved him lots of work. ahahah

18. baysidebunny

I remember the carpet rake. The neighbor boy who's dad owned the longest shag pile carpet on the block, had to rake it every day after school. You didn't dare walk on it before his folks got home from work!

You bet, but I guess it was no more strange for then, than buying bottled water would have been then...but normal for us now.
    Who would have thunk?

19. WillowWisp

WillowWisp Well-Known Member

Until I was six I lived in a house where in my bedroom we had green and I think navy mixed shag carpeting. My mom's kitchen had an olive green stove and matching fridge. I don't remember the cupboards. In our living room we had a lovely gold couch and ugly yellow carpeting. When we moved till where I lived until mid 20s...not that long ago we had orange cupboards and for the first several years living there my parents kept that fridge goin till it died...so we had the orange(they were metal awful cabinets), stained and everything...with a funky looking pastel like minature pixels of color, green, pink, orange floor that still needs replacing along with the whole kitchen. Parents did get a new fridge finally while I still lived there, and they moved the green stove into the basement and it still works just fine. LOL, bout the rooster...Grandma gave mom one and keeps in on the kitchen shelf, even though she hates it she feels bad and grandma lives right down the street. Wouldn't want to hurt any feelings. It is a big ceramic rooster. UGLYIEST thing I ever did see. I like frogs, pigs, and cows more for decoration.

God bless
    WillowWisp

20. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

When we moved here, we had a brown, gold and cream kitchen floor, with harvest gold counter tops and brown metal cupboards. The light resembled something that should have hung over a pool table. The livingroom carpeting was brown, gold and orange---it looked like someone ate chili and barfed. ALL the walls were DARK brown paneling.

*The only place the woman who decorated this house had taste was in her mouth!