Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Are there two different statutes? The first is bare-armed with a bracelet, the second picture has a suit.
Opposite angles. If you look at the top of the second image, you can see the fingertips of the female hand (the one without the bracelet).

Not everyone gets art. Not even the descendants of famous people. And even among people who "get" art, not all art appeals to all people.

It would be a shame if all we could manage were realist representations of historical figures looking nobly towards the horizon.

· Registered
Acta non verba
2,748 Posts
Sky Sculpture Statue Tree Art

This picture shows another side. I agree it's harder to conceptualize a sculpture into 2-D. It's an okay piece, I'm not sure if I would have designed it quite this way but arms intertwined are kind of neat. I prefer the other carving of MLK and wonder what sort of material this was made from.

· Registered
12,312 Posts
Look at the picture in post # 11. The statue is taken from a portion of that picture - MLK hugging his wife.
Woulda been a lot better if the artist (?) had put their heads on the statue.

· Registered
4,931 Posts
Thanks @altair and @doozie for finding those two other pictures. Those are much better. Seen from a bit more distance they do both provide different perspectives which are better than the first two closer up and confusing pictures that were shown.

So now I don't think that the first picture is as obscene as the depicted perspective of the ignorant little boy and which was implied by the writer who wrote the article that was presented. I think that article might have been published that way because the writer is showing some bias against the sculpture in the first place and was writing the article from a negative point of view. I think the author had hopes of influencing or manipulating the perspectives of other people who may otherwise view it in a more positive light if they aren't being manipulated and can see all sides of it.

Really, to appreciate it properly a viewer needs to be there standing back at a further distance and walking all around the entire sculpture in order to view all aspects of it. If the author was being honest he would have shown more pictures of it all taken from different angles and distances. I thought the first picture looked like two arms embracing a big zucchini. I never thought it looked like a penis being embraced the way the little boy interpreted it because that isn't what any kind of penis actually looks like. I suspect the little boy got the idea from an adult and then repeated it out loud.

· Registered
406 Posts
It is obscene. From one angle, it's a big old dong. From another, it's two hands holding a butt. The children call it out without any reservation. Adults couch all their words because they are cowards. Communist "art" is meant to degrade and diminish. It's not a bug it is a feature.

Reactions: NRA_guy

· Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
3,662 Posts
What a waste and an insult to MLK and his family.
It was not actually "wasted". It was a means of funneling $10,000,000 to some black guy.

That truly represents the current goal of the evolved civil rights movement.

That is a looooooong way from what MLK actually advocated: "equal opportunity".

· Saltine American
8,579 Posts
It was not actually "wasted". It was a means of funneling $10,000,000 to some black guy.

That truly represents the current goal of the evolved civil rights movement.

That is a looooooong way from what MLK actually advocated: "equal opportunity".
I assumed that Hunter Biden was now in the statue biz.

• Haha
Reactions: Pony and Wolf mom

· Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
3,662 Posts
The MLK statue in Atlanta:
Plant Pedestal Statue Sculpture Window

Completed in 2017, the final cost for the project was $300,000. The cost was covered by funding from the Georgia Building Authority, The Coca-Cola Company, the Atlanta Apartment Association, and the Department of Community Affairs’ Martin Luther King Jr. Advisory Council.

· Registered
8,061 Posts
My dog makes something that looks similar, at least once a day. I had no idea anyone would be dumb enough to pay ten million dollars for a pile of it.

· Registered
274 Posts
Maybe it's a baby manatee...
View attachment 117742
OMG HOW ADORABLE!!! 🥰 That image made my day!
THREAD JACK ALERT: Back in the early ‘90s I had the experience of a lifetime snorkeling with manatees in Crystal River, FL during an unexpected cold snap. The high temps were in the 50s in February so the manatees all came to the warmer inland water; we were in exactly the right place at the right time. We were in a part of the river where the water was only 4’-5’ deep. There were at least a dozen adults and 3 babies/juvies in this lagoon. We were literally mobbed by these gentle giants, they were all jockeying to be first in line for a rub down as they gently swam by. Babies, too, as their mamas hovered nearby! We were in the water so long that I was turning blue from early hypothermia lol! Truly was an incredible experience, I’ll never forget it! RESUMING OP THREAD

· Registered
20,520 Posts
OMG HOW ADORABLE!!! 🥰 That image made my day!
THREAD JACK ALERT: Back in the early ‘90s I had the experience of a lifetime snorkeling with manatees in Crystal River, FL during an unexpected cold snap. The high temps were in the 50s in February so the manatees all came to the warmer inland water; we were in exactly the right place at the right time. We were in a part of the river where the water was only 4’-5’ deep. There were at least a dozen adults and 3 babies/juvies in this lagoon. We were literally mobbed by these gentle giants, they were all jockeying to be first in line for a rub down as they gently swam by. Babies, too, as their mamas hovered nearby! We were in the water so long that I was turning blue from early hypothermia lol! Truly was an incredible experience, I’ll never forget it! RESUMING OP THREAD
That sounds so cool. I once swam with the rays in the Cayman islands. The water was so clear it looked like it was 15 feet deep. The captain of the boat bet me I couldn't reach the bottom. He won. You could see the ripples in the sand from the catamaran we were in. I bet your experience was as great as mine.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts