Did you know that...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by kesoaps, Jan 17, 2007.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

...you could paint your carpet? Neither did I!!! However, while I was painting the wall I happened to tip the HUGE pail of paint and lost, oh, let's say a few cups worth of paint on the drop cloth and, of course, the carpet. Totally freaked me out. I mean, the carpet is a mess, and the color was good, but :eek: Dh would no doubt notice...

So I grabbed a couple of towels and got them soaking wet, then tried my best to mop it up. The goal was at least to keep it from getting stiff, which I managed to do. Now I'm thinking the spot looks better than the rest of the carpet. I'm starting to think I ought to paint the entire thing. But the technique of wetting the towels and mopping it up is daunting, so maybe I'll just leave the spot :rolleyes: Still, good to know that if I ever have the energy, it can be done!

2. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

I had a renter that had the same idea. Painted a new beige carpet black. Also painted the baseboards and some of the wall. Now the paint is fading in places. Doesn't look very good, but then it never looked very good anyway.

3. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Shampoo the carpet, then cover the remaining spot with a throw rug. You will drive yourself crazy trying to paint it and get it to match up with what you imagine it could be. Carpeting is very uncooperative.

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Hmm... still....

I am in the process of redecorating the kids' former bedrooms now that they're out. (Thank God for Kilz... I let them paint their own rooms, and they chose black and purple, respectively... :rolleyes: )

ANYway, the carpet in the room I'm on now is still relatively good shape (i.e. not worn out), but it is stained. It's a berber with a pattern. At this point, it's doubtful it could get much worse looking than it is now!

Whaddya think? Should I give it a shot?

Kesoaps, what kind of paint were you using? :hobbyhors

Pony!

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I saw them paint the carpet on one of those redecorate-on-a-shoestring shows. I recall one person commenting that they were surprised it wasn't stiff but I don't know if they used some special paint or technique.

If I recall correctly, they even painted a rug design into the carpet.

If the carpet's ruined, then why not go for it? Pony, do you have an extra piece of berber lying around? Maybe you could experiment with that?

kesoaps, you've already done your experimenting :) so I definitely vote for you to go for it!

/VM

6. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

One time when I was in the midst of a creative burst, I diluted fabric dye and put it in a spray bottle. I changed the color of my whole carpet in less than an afternoon. We had blue feet for a while, until it dried, but it was a small price to pay for new carpeting. It did fade after a while, but it looked good for a while, too!

7. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Lemons = Lemonade!

GREAT IDEA!

8. Pony

9. Pony

Your rug looks very nice, but do you think I could cover an entire 11x14 room with acrylic paint? Is it very stiff? Did you water it down at all?

TIA,
    Pony!

10. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Very nice, WIHH...

Pony, it was just latex paint. If I were actually considering doing it, I think I'd dilute the paint first. As I said, mine was an uh-oh kind of thing. I took a pic, but it looks like a clean spot on the carpet instead of paint in the photo, lol! I'd hoped dh wouldn't notice; I'd hoped the color of the walls would distract him...no such luck :rolleyes: