Did you know Michigan has a Feral Pig problem?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Yeti, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

2. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter Well-Known Member

Yep! Let me know if someone yells. I have yet to hear of a sightin'.

3. Rogo

Rogo Well-Known Member

Texas has over 2 million feral pigs causing distruction to the land wherever they go. No license is needed - open season all year around. Many keep their freezers full. No problem with any diseases when I was there.

I heard my pet hog loudly grunting his 'mommy I need help' one night and went out there. (800 pound hog calling for his mommy! -LOL) A feral pig got on my property and was running after the hog who was running towards my house. Since the pig was alone, he may have thought he found family, although he was only about 250 pounds.

Had a tough time getting a shot since my steer decided to mother the pig. When my hog was a baby and the steer was laying down, he would curl his body around the baby so I had a hard time getting the baby to take him in for the night. But I finally got my shot.

My Mammoth donkey was laying down at the time. Didn't even budge when I shot the pig. And that's why the Mammoth isn't used for guarding! -G-

4. stoker46

stoker46 Member

Wild boars are a problem in certain areas of California... believe it or not in Malibu !
    The hills east of the coast, not near the coast of course. It's pretty wild there.

5. stoker46

stoker46 Member

Will pigs eat chicken guts ?

6. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

From what I have seen I would say yes. up here by me we have some huge hog farms and from time to time workers come up missing. at the one farm they were finishing cleaning up one of the bigger pens and found a boot. its the only thing they think was left of one of the workers they beleive fell in one of the pens and disapeared.

7. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard about feral pigs being just east of here. My husband is highly tempted to go looking for some sometime. They had an article in the paper here about it.

8. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes i have given my pigs some guts at one time and they ate them once they were hungry again. I tried giving them some at a later date though and they weren't interested. It would depend a lot upon how hungry the pigs are