Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread drift from chickenmommy's thread titled "Enrolling in University - Questions!"

Someone mentioned that he had several degrees and working on a PhD, but feels that most he has learned is 98% nonsense.

Did you go to college and if so did you find it a lot of nonsense?

Me - I graduated with an Assocs and bachelors about 8 years ago. Did I "learn" anything at college? - yes and no.

I learned how to listen and pick out the important parts.
I learned how to communicate (speech's, presentations, writing papers, etc), I learned how to learn. Employers in turn know that I am able to learn, I am trainable.

Did I actually use much of this knowledge in the "real" world? No.

But it opened many many doors for me that a highschool dipolma never would have.

Was it worth it? - Yes, most definately.

I've even considered going back just for fun. I really enjoyed it, learning, communicating with others in class. I can't imagine a degree that I would be interested in attaining now, but would love to do what chickenmommy is doing, Culinary Arts. Now a degree like that - what a true learning experince.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I went to college a couple of years and then to a business school and graduated from there with a degree.

I studied to be a travel professional, either a travel agent or work in the hotel industry. I really wanted to be a travel agent.

I graduated right at the recession in the 90's. After that, the internet took off. No need for travel agents now. They are a dying breed.

So yes, going to college got me nowhere, and I busted my rear for those years and spent all that money for nothing. I can tell you that just about every one I know that went to college during the same time I did have the same experience. Makes you wonder.

I'm not going to push my son into going to college. I'm going to push him towards a trade school. Virtually all people I know with trade backgrounds have great jobs/own their own businesses and make fantastic livings. It just seems like less of a crap shoot than college.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I have an engineering degree, it was definitely worth it. Made more in my 1st year than it cost me to go to college, plus I was able to work in engineering during my summers and made very good money which was what I used to pay for my school. I definitely used what I learned in college in my career. My oldest son has a computer science degree, and it was worth it for him, he's started with a very good salary.

I think it depends on what you major in. I had many friends in college with business, music or other type degrees that ended up being salespeople that didn't get any higher salary than those right out of high school, although some of them were able to move into management a little faster. Those I knew with degrees for specific careers tended to do better, like the pharmacy, nurses, veteranarians, doctors etc...

Dawn

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
College isn't for everyone. My son is in computers and in a very well paying position, but he has no formal education. My daughter is a licensed clinical massage therapist, but chose to go into the Air Force.

We all have different paths to follow.

I went to college and grad school because I needed the degree to get the license to do what I want to do. It was very expensive hoop-jumping. I will probably be paying off student loans with Social Security checks.

But I get to do what I love to do. :)

Further, no one can take my education from me (unless they hit my upside the head with a brick bat, but even then, they can't TAKE it but only destroy it).

Pony!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes, I went to college, and oh my was it worth it. I learned so much and even if it didn't all apply to work in the outside world, it was all worth it.

I wish more than anything that all of my children would go, but for some reason I don't think they will.
My DH and I have always had good jobs due to our educations, and I wonder if the kiddos really understand that our education is why. Maybe that is my fault.
Anyway, my mother always said, you can't wish more for them than they do for themselves.

Everyone should go to college. I know not everyone would enjoy it, but I sure did.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I put in six years obtaining two degrees relevent to the field in which I am employed. Most of my courses were business related. I don't think any of them were nonsense, but then I don't think my "Geology of U.S. National Parks" elective class was silly either. Now outside of class, I got into as much nonsense as I could, and I still consider it (undergraduate years) the most fun and fullfilling four years of my life.

I'm planning on going back to school after I retire to take some intro Spanish classes and mechanical/electrical/wood working classes. Unfortunately, they don't offer too many gardening/farming type classes here anymore. We've grown "dumber" in that regard, and it all happened pretty much in the space of one generation. Amazing.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Yes, and certainly I'm glad I did. But I agree with others who say that it really helps to know what you want to do with your education. A college education is a tool that should be used to help a person achieve whatever goals they have for their future - it isn't a substitute for goals or a magic path to success in the absence of goals.

College is also supposed to help you get a well-rounded general education, including critical thinking skills, writing and research capabilities, and a broad enough body of knowledge that you can move in different circles as required...but whether a given college experience can provide that for you depends on the university you attend, the professors you get, and your own approach to your studies and willingness to learn.

Unless someone is going to Bozo the Clown School, I find it hard to believe that a wasted college experience is not attributable to the student him/herself.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think before you ask that question, you really have to look at the classified section of your newspaper...every job wants at least a bachelor degree in something. So, regardless if you feel it is a waste of time, or even necessary...the employers want that piece of paper. That is one of those things we talked about in another thread, how they eliminate people for jobs for any silly reason. Credit Report, Background Check, Bachelor Degree, it is all in the game. I'm tired of weak paying jobs, and I want to get paid.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Yes, and yes.

The thing about a college education - it teaches you to think. And it refines your ability to communicate with others authoritatively. Just like algebra and other math courses. I know it's an old cliche', but it's true. And in many professions, it's the only way to get where you want to go. I'll never ever fault someone for wishing to educate themselves.

It's not for everyone though. It just depends on what to do with your life. Nothing wrong with learning a trade at a trade school, or attending the good ol' "school of hard knocks". To each his own.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I still count going away to college as the best decision I have ever made. While my degree is not required for my job, it certainly is a plus and I earn more money than my non-degreed co-workers, but even more than that, college developed my brain (which actually IS required for my job :) ) and living on campus made me grow personally in ways that never would have happened had I continued to live with my parents. I loved learning and thinking and research before I went to college, but college gave me the chance to delve deeper and to discover areas of interest that were not known to me in high school.

ETA: When I become independently wealthy, I plan to become a professional student. I love it that much.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I'm keeping an eye on this thread...hoping I can keep saying to anyone who'll listen..."I've never met a single person who regrets getting a formal education...but I've met many who regret not doing so when they had the opportunity to do so." :)

Marlene

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
I've been mulling this over, and I realized that the most important thing I learned during my adult formal education experience is that the more you know, the more there is to learn. Learning (formal or informal) teaches us that we know so very little, really, in the grand scheme of things. We never "arrive" at the place where we know it all -- very humbling, but incredibly liberating!

Once you realize that it is impossible to know everything, you can develop a higher tolerance for ambiguity, and you become less anxious about so many things. Then you can relax and enjoy living and learning as you go along.

Pony!

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I think you nailed it in the OP. College isn't always about the book stuff you learn while there. It's often about the life skills you learn. And those skills are what gets many college graduates a job, not the book knowledge.

However, there are many college degrees where the book knowledge is just as or more important than the life skills. So I'd say that it depends on the degree you got as to which was more important. But I could never consider any education, from any source, a waste of time!

Meg

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I was lucky enough to go to a private liberal arts college, where along with enough science courses to choke a horse, it was mandated that I take x hours of English and literature courses, philosophy, psychology, theology.

I really think that is college at its best. Narrow enough to fill a specific vocational field, yet broad enough to allow a dumb country boy to recognize Shakespeare's King Lear , Bach and Mozart, and how Modus ponens and Modus tolens differ.

And the beer, pizza and women weren't bad, either.... :rock: :rock: :rock:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Yes for my husband, no for me.

My husband has a master's, and is paid 3 times the money he would have received had he been doing it without the degree. He works side by side with those who have no formal education, and his paycheck reflects it. Even with the never ending student loans, it was worth it.

I went to school and almost completed an AA degree but children came along and they were more important. It's been so long, that it is like I never went. So , yes, a big waste of time and money. I wouldn't even study the same thing if I went back.

I would like my kids to go to college, traditional or trade, just so they have the experience and more choice when it comes to employment. It can make a world of difference.

B

·
0 Posts
Yes, and it was well-worth it.

My adult children are good examples I believe:

One daughter is a computer engineer..she can work anywhere in the country with her education credentials and her work background..her DH has the same qualifications..they've both seen people in their field in the last 6 years lose their jobs, or simply not qualify for them because they do not have the needed educational preparation.

Youngest son at 27 was just offered a 6 figure salary as a CEO in China..he has a dual degree in International Business & Chinese ( can speak, write and read Chinese fluently).

Oldest son has the expertise of a Chef in fine dining, but no degree in Culinary Arts..soooo, he does the identical work as a Chef, but is paid at half the salary..that's reality.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Oh, my gosh yes! We married young, had a child and struggled every day. Finally I got enough of poverty and decided to do something about it. I took the entrance test and received a scholarship. That, along with student loans and grandma babysitting I did a 4 year degree in 3 years with full loads and summer courses near the top of my class. Now 20 years later, I have about everything I ever dreamed of. Many of my friends from highschool that did not are living in HUD housing and receiving food stamps. Made all the difference in my life and gets more important everyday as the world gets more complicated.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
oh my. i have 3 degrees. 1 as, in equine technology, 1 bs in business, and 1 bs in elementary education. i'm using the elem ed, b/c i'm a teacher. i use the business now and then -i think it helped me in some areas, the equine degree, well, i gave up horses for several reasons, but the experience taught me as much about people and dealing with people as it did horses, so it was well worth it. my parents paid for the as, mom probly thinks it was a waste of her $$. the military and i paid for the business, and the va paid for the elem ed thru voc rehab. worth every bit of the time and energy i put into all 3 degrees, and i wouldn't trade it for anything. i may eventually go back for a masters of phd, depends on where my life goes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts