Did you find any of your Christmas gifts as a child?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

I never actively looked for any of my gifts. I knew kids in school who would find all of their presents, unwrap them, then rewrap them and act surprised on Christmas morning. :nono: I never wanted to know what my presents were. However one time I found a gift by accident. My Mom had a large trunk at the foot of her bed where we stored extra sheets. I was probably 8-9 and I went to the trunk to get out a sheet or pillowcase, my sister was in the room too, and when I opened it I found two Dolly Parton dolls! She was dressed in a red jumpsuit.

We had our family Christmas get-together yesterday and the conversation turned to finding gifts early. My sister and I both said at the same time that we had found those dolls and we both felt so guilty about it!

My kids have always known where I stash their gifts, but to my knowledge they have never looked. They like to be surprised too!

2. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Nope, I never did, but my son the CIA spy has not only snooped, but unwrapped presents and blamed it on mice! :flame:

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember when I was 8, my sister (she was 10) started looking for our gifts and talked me into helping her. I don't know if she had looked before but I never had. We found a guitar and a tape recorder under my parents bed. I felt awful because I wanted that guitar so badly and I knew the surprise was spoiled. I felt a whole lot worse when Christmas came and we didn't get those gifts! My parents never said a word and we weren't about to admit what we had done. I got that guitar the next day, I still have it, and I never went looking for presents again.

4. William G

William G Active Member

me and my brother always looked for the present but mom always had them wraped. an if we dared try to unwrap them and mom notice anything wrong that present was gone. so we nevertook the chance.

5. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Yes, all the time. My mom kept my gifts in my dad's old Air Force trunk, locked up. Ever determined, I actually pried the lid up until I could shine a light to see what was inside, and one year I managed to slide my "Little Professor" (a math toy) out, put batteries in it, and played with it! When I was done, I left the batteries in, and that's what gave me away. I couldn't seem to convince my mom that the toy company must've put the batteries in already. :p

6. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

With eight kids in an 1800 sq ft house, there wasn't a lot of room to hide things. My mother told us where they were and told us, "If you want to ruin the surprise on Christmas morning, go ahead. I'm not watching you every minute!"

She was an incredibly intelligent woman, and incredibly accomplished in the art of reverse psychology, long before it became a catch-phrase. While we were still figuring out whether A) she was serious and wouldn't smack our backsides from here to next Thursday if we went looking or, B) whether it was worth it to find out what we were getting prior to Christmas and if the surprise really WOULD be ruined.... well, Christmas tended to come and go long before we figured it out.

We never did go looking for those presents. I suspect part of it was the fact that it wasn't any fun if she wouldn't at least TRY to hide them.

Tracy

7. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

I never did look for my presents when I was a child. I never got that many presents and wanted to savor every minute of opening them as possible.

8. SmartAZ

SmartAZ Well-Known Member

I don't even connect with the question. When I was a kid gifts went under the tree as soon as they were wrapped. Then we would pick them up and shake gently trying to guess what was in each package.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister and I found our Barbie Dolls...in July a full six months AFTER Christmas! LOL...Mama had forgotten where she hid them.

By the way...they were in the oven of the gas stove out in the utility room (Mama never used that stove and it was eventually removed). We were playing "house" when we found them.

Oh, one time she forgot to hide the presents and they were all in the back of her station wagon when we got off the bus after school.