Did we contaminate our well??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shelbynteg, Aug 6, 2005.

1. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Need some input here...a service company had to do some significant work on our well this week, pulled the well, and replaced the jet at the base. That was done on Thursday. The pump was then primed and we were on our way.

Friday afternoon we lost our power during a thunderstorm, when the power came back on 6 hours later, the well had lost its prime, so we were once again out of water.

This morning, DH put twenty gallons of water from a pasture trough down the well to prime the pump, which was successful. So, here's my question, since the water he primed that pump with was a little dirty, like feed trough water is, would that contaminate the well in some way?

Any disinfecting we should do? We have a raw dairy, and I'm skittish about keeping the milking equipment crystal cleen!

Thanks.

2. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

My bet is that you are now the proud owner of a wel contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria. I am sure there is a web site online that will tell you how to clear it up.

3. farmerscotty

farmerscotty Well-Known Member

Well if the water was water you wouldn't drink.........then what do you think.....you need some chlorine tablets..........go to wally world and get some 1 inch ones like for hot tub call the well service guy and ask how many to put down the casing...........You treat a well like anything you would want to eat off of........Don't drink the water till you chlorine it..............

You could sure get sick big time!

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

once you chlorinate your well ,keep a good thing going and run water through allyour pipes till you smell chlorine. then test water this week and again in two weeks. apply two x four too husband if he does this again! you could contamintae other peoples wells too,. cheap bleach will do the trick best. any time you open your well add bleach also sterilize the well head. better safe than sorry

6. creekfreak

creekfreak jack of all master of...?

pour a galln of bleach down the well...let it sit and then run the pump until it doesnt smell like bleah anymore..and dont use a hose, the hose will absorb the bleah and it will always smell like it!

thats what my well guy had me do to the well on my property..it had all sat unused for many years...

7. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

My thought is.. if you have a foot valve, what you prime the well with will never leaves the system and once you have flushed that water out. [how ever long that would take] you are pumping pure well water again.

8. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Hammer on this one regarding the foot valve ....."IF" (and I stress the "if")....the service people came out and "fixed" everything, then "something" is definitely wrong if the pump didn't maintain its prime when the power was out.....a leaky foot valve or possibly the service people "forgot" to replace it when completing their work......have seen it happen personally with a "licensed" well repair man......he came out to fix our well and pump.....decided it was time to pull the line out to check for leaks in it......did so and "forgot" to replace the foot valve......couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting any prime.....spent HOURS running the pump before he finally pulled the pipe out again and discovered his error!!! :confused: Needless to say, I don't/WON'T use his services again. :soap: :bash:

9. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I had an incredibly ugly discussion with the well man on saturday morning, once we got a hold of him. By the way, there was no answering machine or emergency number for his shop, so I tracked him down using the county's online property tax records, haha. He refused to come out, his service truck was in the shop getting a clutch...who knows if that's true. He suggested that I just shut down operation for several days--which just is a super idea for milking animals, everyone knows how they like to take time off! He is licensed, etc. He will be out again next week, or I will take legal action, regulatory action, or whatever I need to do to get my well sanitary and fully fuctional.

10. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Common practice is to pour several gallons of bleach down well. Then run well using hose to recycle water through the water column (including sides of casing) for say half on hour. Open all outlets until bleach smell arrives (or you can taste bleach in water). Now let entire system set overnight. Next morning run hose at point where concentrated bleach won't do any significant damage until you can no longer taste bleach in the water. Put as little of this water in septic tank as possible, such as filling a 5-gallon bucket in tubs. Now open outlets one at a time to flush out those lines.

Agree with 2X4 on husband. He could have obtained clean water from neighbors.

11. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Don't use regular bleach. Go to a store that sells pool supplies and get a gallon of liquid shock. It will be 14% chlorine. Bleach is less than 5%.

Once you have shocked the well, run the tap water till you can smell chlorine in the water. Mind you don't run the well dry. If you have a large holding/settling tank (We have 1,000 gallons) it may take a while to run through. Be sure to run both hot and cold water (open taps around the house) to get the chlorine through your entire system. You will need to run the water out till you no longer smell chlorine or it is minimal. Be careful of watering things with water containing a significant amount of chlorine....you may kill or damage your plants.

Mike

12. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

stuff the pool companys sell is often low oder. water treatment plants use this type too as the smell often brings complaints!so when you smell bleach in treated water you know its pathogen free!! cheap bleach has oder!!may not have been the companies fault,if water is used when the power is out then the system can drain back and cause a water lock nothing to do with the work they did.

13. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

A properly working system won't loose prime regardless of what you do when the power is out. The valve at the pump must be bad in this case.