Did they bite someone?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kesoaps, Nov 4, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was telling me a couple of her ewes got out of the pasture the other day. Seems they couldn't figure out how to get back in, so wandered around the outside of the property, down to the road and up the driveway. She found them in her front yard when she went out to do chores in the morning and didn't think much of it.

The street she lives on used to be all agriculture, but like so many places, the city has encroached; now there are three schools across the street and it's city on that side, while she's still county.

Seems some kind soul saw loose sheep in the city, so called animal control, who showed up at my friends to tell her she wasn't allowed to have sheep inside the city limits. She let them know that she didn't. They then told her that her sheep had been loose, in town. She wondered if they'd bit anyone... :rolleyes:

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL! Poor sheep! Getting turned in to the Law! People turn animals in for a lot of reasons, but generally because they think they'll get hit in the road (street?). Then there are the people who don't want (in my case cow manure) sheep manure on their lawn. You get all kinds. :) Funny story: I live down the road from a small enclave of summer people from either Rochester or Syracuse. The people from SYR are white, the ones from ROC are black. Anyway, years ago an irate woman from the ROC side called up to complain that the cows had been out on her lawn and had left "pieces". Now, I don't hear black city people talk a whole lot, and when I do, it takes me a few seconds to catch up in understanding on some of the words. So I was trying to figure out by what she meant by "pieces". Had the cows broken something? So I asked her pieces of what? And she came back with "Pieces!" a little more forcefully. And I said, "Pieces?" She was frustrated by this time and came back with, loudly, "Sh!+". Of course then I realized she'd been saying the cows had left feces on the lawn, but the way she said it rhythmed with pieces. :) Poor woman! Forced into vulgarity because I wasn't getting it! LOL!

Jennifer

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Did they have their property properly fenced? LOL the city people that is!
    In Il where I live the law is that you must build and maintain half the fence between you and your neighbor So a few years ago when my sheep got out and my then neighbor came over threatening all sorts of things I asked him Did they come thru the fence I built or his? He responded I havent built any fence.I then pointed out since he hadnt built his half of the fence it was likely that they came thru there. He had a fit cause he didnt have any stock and said he didnt need one .I showed him a copy of the law and point out that if the other neighbors had any damage they might sue him for not maintaining his fence.I thought he was gonna have a fit and die right then and there he was so mad!

I might not have been such a horses butt if one of my neighbors hadnt called just before he came over and metioned that he had seen this guy hit my fence with a bushhog and take out a 20 foot section .

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    When I was in Junior High, my Dad decided to raise an Angus steer for meat and we kept him on our little three acres until he got too big. My Uncle George ran a dairy farm and Dad decided we would send McTavish(yes he was named) to spend the summer with the ladies and fatten him on some good grass. Uncle George's pasture was just across the street from the local grade school. Well one day McTavish got out and wandered off into the schoolyard and the principal called the sheriff. The sheriff send along Deputy Grenier, who made Barney Fife look like Einstein and the deputy proceeded to chase McTavish up and down the schoolyard much to the amusement of the assembled school. Finally Deputy Grenier managed to get close enough to catch hold of McTavish's head, but little did he know, that my dad and McTavish had often played a little wrestling game.....well mcTavish gave the Deputy a little head butt and sent him 20 feet across the schoolyard. This definitely put the student and teacher population firmly on McTavish's side and did nothing for the dignity of the law. While the deputy was nursing his wounds and McTavish had gone back to munching the schoolyard grass, someone thought to call Uncle George. Unfortunately Uncle George had gone to town, but his sister, Aunt Marthe, a petite little old maid was at home and pretty soon she turned up in her little Ford car, her town hat daintily perched on her head, white gloved and her handbag over her arm. The Deputy looked this little matron up and down and shook his head as if to say...."Now what use are you going to be..." and Aunt Marthe gave Deputy Grenier an equally disgusted look and opened the truck of her car and took out a beat up galvanized bucket with about 2 scoops of grain in the bottom. Purposefully she walked off across the ball field toward McTavish and when she got within range, she gave that bucket a good hard shake. Now that rattling bucket was the bovine equivalent to a dinner bell to a yard full of hungry field hands and McTavish raised his head and started across the grass toward Aunt Marthe. Pretty as you please, McTavish followed Aunt Marthe across the schoolyard and the Creamery Brook Road and back into the pasture where Aunt Marthe set down the bucket and gave him a pat on the head. Then she opened her handbag and took out a pair of pliers and took a reef or two in the broken fence wire, collected the bucket and shooed McTavish back up the hill toward the other cows and strolled back to her car. As she passed the astonished deputy, she nodded her head and said....You Greniers never did have a lick of sense.....and to the cheers of the assembled school drove back home. :)

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I LOVE IT!! :rotfl:

6. blynn

blynn Well-Known Member

FolioMark, that is a GREAT story!

7. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I was putting a deck on a home in a new subdivision. I looked next door and, much to my surprise, there were two cows having a staring contest with their reflections in the neighbor's sliding glass door. Not one to ruin a cow's afternoon foray, I just kept on hammering. Eventually, they wandered off, still wondering "why are their two cows in that guy's living room".

8. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
  9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I once rented 40 acres with a barn to live in, I sublet the pasture to a guy whom had cows. There was a nature trail near by, an old train right of way. Some of the yearling cows got out, the people on the trail called the sheriff and said cows were attacking people, the deputies arrived armed with high powered rifles, ready to do combat to the death. Isn't it amazing what city people think about livestock?

10. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I had a 6 month old lamb get out this summer. Ended up in the subdivision down the road. Some idiot called the cops and said there was a cow in their yard!!

Kathie

11. mikee22712

mikee22712 Member

It is amazing what will happen when people get out of there element. If you take a person out of the country into the center of a major city the things that you will see. In the same instance if you take city out into the country it can be a real big laugh. A farmer that I use to know would every year get out the paint and go to the pasture and paint in large letters C O W. now with that said every year he would lose a cow to the city hunters who got the biggest deer you ever seen and its black and white with orange letters on it. Never fails Got to love it huh

12. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

ever since the city anexed us , i have been waiting for animal control too tell us we "can't" . third time this city has caught up with our family farm, third time we will fight till their gone! oh and sheep do bite!!! cityits can be very gulible, thats not a cow ,rare endangered critter that moose!!

13. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

WIHH, I'm afraid Cabin Fever is probably right about being bit by a goat; they're onery critters! I've one ewe who thinks she's a goat and she's bit my behind more times than I care to recall. :p And even without teeth on the top, it pinches!!

We've often taken our lambs with us to town, and we do get a lot of funny looks are responses; most folks think we've got a dog with us until it starts baaaing. DD and I hit the drive thru at McDonalds one day and the girl asked "Would your dog like a biscuit?" I said no, it's a sheep. She replied "No, it's a dog biscuit." I laughed, and said I knew that, but I had a sheep. At that point the lamb baaad at her and she screamed, then started laughing and called everyone over to the window to look. (And I wonder why DD is so embarassed to be seen with me, lol!)

14. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Kesoaps
    You shoulda heard the razing I got when I hauled a herd of ewes to another pasture in the stationwagon any other thursday afternoon town woulda been deserted but you woulda thought there was a parde about to come thru that day!

15. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Wind in her Hair, I beg to differ. Goats can and will bite. I have a crotchety old boer doe who will nip you in a minute, without provocation, just because she can.

The babies will also nibble. I don't mind a nibble or two. The front teeth can't do a whole lot of damage but the back ones can. Never let a goat get your finger anywhere near their back jaw. Those back teeth can be painfull...

16. Rea

Rea Well-Known Member

I was about 12-13, when I got my first nubian goat. We lived on Main St. in a major suburb of Dallas, TX, right next door to the most popular chineese restaurant in town and the local arcade.

She was given to me free when she was 3 days old and had pneumonia, but she was a beauty, a prefect roman nose & gorgeous ears. Named her Sadie Mae and she bounced out that illness in less than a week. She was papered trained in less than a day and house broke within the first week and half.

We had a little side yard between us and the parking lot of the arcade & the china place and when she got a little older, I'd tie her out there to graze and I walk her on a leash to the park to play. Mom was worried somebody would make a complaint about the goat living on Main St., but to our supSrise we never got one and then one day I discovered why!

I was sitting in the lot w/ Sadie, when a lady came out of the china place & walked over to pet Sadie and after a couple of minutes she made this comment ---" She is such an adorable dog, so pretty! What kind is she?" I had to bite my tongue not to bust out laughing and thought it was best not to tell her Sadie was actually a goat! So I told her she was redbone hound! LOL and she believed me! City folk, they are good for a giggle!

The next year we moved to the edge of that suburb, but still in the city limits where along w/ Sadie, I acquired another goat, 4 rabbits, a dozen various banty chickens and a horse. Never had any complaints though, with the exception to the day Blue Lady (the horse) got out and stopped traffic on Cockerhill Rd. She was just a standing there sniffing the hood of the car of a lady who was going beserk and screaming her head off! LOL

Rea