Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted 6/10/21 2:00 A.M. CDST

Those familiar with C.I.S. / I.T. history are aware that cloud computing /storage is over 50 years old and worked well in use by DARPA and while in it's initial phase was considered at least 90% secure.

During the past 16 years as the protocol has been incorporated in public networks and government agencies use public portals for databases in close contact with their former more secure platforms , slowdowns , blackouts due to traffic overloads and hackings have steadily increased.

While the core of the cloud collapse a week or so has only been referenced as a crash, the ripple effect to various services , websites and networks that use extensive cloud support is running slower despite individual users showing normal connection speeds.

This cloud collapse and domino glitching seems to be one of the worse information superhighway in many years but main stream media and internet media coverage has been minimal.

The most visible possible effect I have possibly seen of the ripple effect was yesterday while at my 4 month follow up check up and medication refill. Instead of the nurse and doctor using their hospital network laptops, both were using metal clipboards and both were happy that I had my maintenance medication requirements penned on paper as they used an air gapped PC and printer to print out my prescriptions.

When I mentioned my GP using paper as he did in the mid 1990s, he apologized and said their network had been down for a day and a half.

I'm glad that I have refused to embrace the go paperless frenzy as I made it through my check up in the 17 minutes as usual and living at the same address for 25 years, having the same landline number for 35 years, and don't insurance surf I passed through normally as a dozen or so folks sat i the waiting room filling in paper forms.

The only true effect it had on me was while updating my antivirus i saw that the updates were larger and a friend called asking me why his streaming TV services weren't working as they should and his wife couldn't order from Amazon or her online checking account or such.

So did the computing cloud outage and ripples noticeably affect your week?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I read about the issue but we had no noticeable problems.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
don't think so

·
Premium Member
26,628 Posts
I've been too busy to play on the internet. I thought I could catch up some here today but that isn't working out either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts