Did The Deed!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mike in Pa, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Man oh man! I did the deed. My wife and I casrated our first pig! :no:

I ain't never grew up around farm animals. All self-taught and mostly from what I've learned here. This was another big hurdle for me.

I used a utility knife with a new blade and my wife held him. Unfortunately he wasn't as young as I'd have liked ... he is about 10 weeks old. Took a minute to find them! Made the incisions and pulled them out and packed iodized salt mixed with actual iodine on it.

The only problem I have is when I got done there might have been a "cord" left dangling. I didn't even realize this until a minute ago. This was pretty traumatic for me, my wife and of course the pig. If there is something still hanging, will it dry up and fall off? There wasn't much blood either.

I give my wife A LOT of credit. This was really tough for her to do.

2. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Mike,
    I would remove the cord if you can get ahold of him again. that cord will dry up eventually & fall off, but in the mean time it is going to leave a space for air to get into the scrotum & therefore increase the chances of infection. You also run the risk that it gets caught up on something & is pulled at reopening the wound.
    usually people pull on that cord until it breaks off up inside the pig. or what ever animal is being castrated. A vet will reach up inside & cut the cord inside, but others believe that by pulling it you constrict the blood vessels & there is less bleeding.
    Good Luck
    Rick

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Chances are the pig will be fine. The holding of the pig is more dangerous to the pig than the castration since it can cause a rupture from squeezing. I hope that your incision was low so that the wound can drain. If the cut cannot drain and it heals over too quickly some complications can occur. Just watch the pig for a few days and post back if problems develop.

4. mink

mink Well-Known Member

5. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Packed with salt? Yikes! That's gotta hurt! I just give a spray of H2O2, vinegar, and water solution and let them go. Never had a problem.

6. Mike in Pa

Same here. He squealed a bit during the procedure but really let loose when I put the iodine/salt on him!

7. Mike in Pa

That was recommended by someone. I didn't have much iodine left so I figured I'd mix it with iodized salt and it'd go further.

I'm going to check on him now.

8. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Hey Mike congrats!!!

Yes, it is something. A BIG something. Hug your wife. TWICE. We did ours with hubby holding and me cutting. Took a couple of hours to calm down afterwards. Us, not the pig. :haha: The pig was fine.

We used "Cut-Heal Aerosol Wound Spray". It was recommended to us by the guy at the feed store.

9. BDB

BDB BDB

I never used anything on the cuts after castrating just cleaned um off real good before and kept the pigs in clean pen wow salt in the cuts thats gota burn your curing the hams even before there butchered

10. Mike in Pa

Yeah ... I tried having my wife do the cutting and me hold ... NO GO. I figured I was lucky having her do that. She was tearing up by the time it was over. Later she just shook her head at me and asked why I get he into these things. I told her I figured I'd need her to AI a sow or 2 next. :p

I checked on the little guy a few hours ago. He seemed fine at that time. He was all ready for the evening feeding exactly as normal. That made me feel a little better.

11. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

i usually clean them good before and after i spray a lil wd40 on the cuts. vet showed me that years ago.

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

My wife and I did two of our four 200lb pigs yesterday too, if i was any lighter I may not have been able to keep them under control.
    we did the dominant one first. and then the smallest. two more to do today.

congrats on the new experience!

BTW, just curious, what did you do with the oysters?

we cooked ours over an open fire and the cats and dogs had a great time!

Neal

13. Mike in Pa

Why would you have so many to do at 200lbs?? Why would you let all of them get to that size? How did you personally restrain a 200lb boar? Hold him by the back legs with his front on the ground? I just pitched the "oysters". I'm sure something found them.

14. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Letting boars reach 200 lbs prior to castrating is too stressful on the animals. Mature animals of this size need to go on to market to end up in pepperoni sausages. Pigs are best castrated at a very young age, they do not seemed to be stressed, they heal quickly, the weight gain is improved and they are not rowdy and there is less danger to the one doing the castrating. The person can get hurt or cut easily working with large hogs.

15. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

I agree completely, but we got them this size, and hubby and i made the choice to cut them rather than having poor meat. you dont discriminate on free pigs
    normally we cut at a day or two old
    actually only one was close to 200 , the other was more like 140-150 thankfullyl my hubby is a big man
    they are fine today eating and rooting happily, they have no idea that in about a month and a half they will be in the freezer

16. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

we had vet out to look at calf we bought he only charged 3 bucks apeice xtra to cut the hogs :D as the dogs and cats waited anxiously

17. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

well i posted to this before seeing that my lovely other half already replied !!!!!

18. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. If they're eating and rooting it didn't stress them too much. Just the other day we took 3 50-70 pounders to the vet to have done (hubby has done many himself, but it's been a while so he wanted a refresher) then did another 2 90 pounders ourselves. He held them up by the hind legs and I did the cutting. Irrigated the wound with iodine and popped them with 5cc of penicillin and they were fine. It was the ones we took to the vet that were stressed. By the next day they were all eating and rooting. The only reason we cut them at all was because 3 of them are spoken for by other people. We've found we don't have a problem eating boar as long as we cut off all the fat.