Did some trimming... (Evermoor) and whomever :)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, May 13, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Before you continue, images are big, and if your on dialup sit back, open a brewski, have some chips! ;).

Well I got my clippers Wednesday, clipped two holsteins heads to see how it would go, the two I did were the easiest and did not bother from the clippers much. Amazing how shiny that black is on the B&W holsteins. Here is a pic, if you can make her out, of the one. It is not perfect, I was toying around, and was not after a good job.

[​IMG]

I didn't touch her up perfectly, and even though this was a test, and a look-see, she seems to like all that hair trimmed off. As a comparison, this was her before the trimming, well it's an older pic, but it makes them look spiffy.

[​IMG]

It is amazing how it brings that black and white out, next week im going to finish her off, even though she is shedding, and she will shed completely by June. It seems to feel good, we will see. Going to do a trim late June, was reading that it's a good idea to trim 60 days before the show to promote more hair growth. But here I was thinking trimming was hard, and it's actually easy, and enjoyable. Now this next one I went all out, excluding her head. I trimmed the crown a little, and found the two others I trimmed were easy, this one hated her head touched with that clipper.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

If you notice stuff near her jaw, vet said it was some sort of infection, has to do with the wet weather we had, but it is clearing up, main reason why I didn't go all out on her head.

Little playing with the topline hair, and BAM! she is set.

Here is the last pic, up in the orchard.

[​IMG]

Curious what you think for a start evermoor? Used the oster blade for the body, and topline. Used a dirty hair blade on the B&W's legs, and under belly to remove manure. Discovered that under belly has some nice future milk veins, good potential under there, no lint ;).

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Isn't amazing how different they can look after a good clipping! Looks like you got a good start going there. The head is the most difficult area to clip; legs can be a bit tricky esp.if they like to kick. Go ahead and practice away on your other girls. This will enhance your skill and get them use to future clip when they hit the milking string. Are the dirty hair blades pluckers ( thicker than regulars)? This works good on the belly and blending in weak shoulders. For legs use the regular blades. Often we use a set of "tight" blades for them. These are just regular blades that have been sharped down to almost surgicals. Clipping now isn't so bad but wait till August when your sweatin your boys off and all that itchy hair sticks to you, or if you have twenty more to do after that . To think some people just go to shows and sales and clipp professionally. My buddy and I did it a little till I got smart ( that is debatable) and had a family. Something about being home for a day or two per month. Of course the buddy is now bigtime, clipping those $100,000 bovines, lives in motels and his car and has a drinking problem. ( par for the course). IF the heifers are outside the black and red will fade out some. Certain horse grooming products have a sunscreen additive that really helps. I just leave them tied in all day, so they can fill up on coarse grass hay. Practice leading the red heifer and throating her. Basically pull the loose skin tight under the jaw ( instant plastic surgery)

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well the previous owners of these pictured below came down, the son who shows religiously looked them over. Funny thing, the animals he liked, and said they would be good. I had picked the same exact ones, so apparently the judge books I read did me some good. Here are two more trimmed, Sassy is the first one and Speedy is the second. I had to tie speedys head, she hated that trimmer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fluffed sassy's tail, didn't fluff speedys, didn't wash it. Interesting how washing that switch, allows you to comb it out and it fluffs up.

Jeff