Did some landscaping for free!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I had been wanting to do some yard work out front, but with $ so tight I wasn't sure we would be able to do it this year. I had wanted to concentrate on the front of the house and making the walkway look nice. We used some extra patio stones left by the previous house owner to build a second concrete border near the front steps and 17yo planted some tulip bulbs inside of it (We got the bulbs for free from Brecks last fall and had planted them in Nov and moved them today). We tore up some dead shrubs and raked it flat. I was able to replant one shrub into a big planter out by the garage that was sititng empty. I need to buy some grass seed next week and we will plant it out where we raked. Was a good day and we had tons of fun working together. Even the 15 month old "helped". :)

It looks great, was all free and we had a blast together as a family. Can't ask for more!

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

:) Free is always good! Sounds like a fun project. I'll bet if you put the word out to friends and neighbors, they'll be glad to give you extra seeds and cuttings. I've given away loads of stuff over the years and I still have more than enough plants.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds great Jean!

My gardening is limited to vegetables and fruit....except for the wildflowers...my mom loves flowers and just planted fresia and glads and always has cut flowers for me when I visit :)

FYI Caswells had alot of deals this past Wed. Tons of cereal for less than $1 a box....I thought of you while I was shopping...gas is so high a bought double so I wont go for 6 weeks and its only 10miles to Caswells/Walmart. If you ever make it down give me a shout!

4. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

We did a little free lanscaping here too last week, my dd10 found some really pretty, fairly large rocks that had been dumped into the drainage ditch/creek when it rains that runs next to the house and she brought them home and we arranged them nicely- they are very pretty and I figure it's less space I have to plant something! I planed some cosmos seeds in there too but haven't seen them yet...hope it wasn't too late or too hot.

5. Quiver0f10

I will definitely give you a shout and likewise if you ever come north give me a holler. We do have a big vegetable garden ready to go, so this was a nice suprise. I have been staying very close to home and only going out when absolutely possible. I dread what gas prices are today; they hit $3.06 on Thursday last week.

6. Quiver0f10

Sounds really nice!

7. Quiver0f10

Last year my neighbor gave me some lilacs and he said I can grab some more this year. I can't wait to get them planted!