Did my own tattooing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Wasn't as bad as dehorning but would have been easier if the holder was made to hold all 6 of my ID numbers instead of just 5. I also found that you don't need that much ink... yes, it was everywhere :shrug:

I did something that I thought I would pass along. Instead of using cotton balls to clean the ears with alcohol, I used the cotton cosmetic squares instead. I took a ziplock bag and put some squares in then poured in alcohol to make nicely wet. I would use two, one on each side of the ear. Then would use the other clean side on the next goat. I would also "bite" into a clean square inbetween ears to clean the needles. It seemed to work a whole lot easier then when I watched someone who was using cotton balls.

Last, I put the numbers and letters in a weekly pill container to separate them and make them easier to find. The Sunday has my herd ID in. Monday has numbers. Tuesday has A,B,C,D. Etc. I also had a little container that had some alcohol in that I put the used numbers in after I was finished so the used did not go in with the clean.

2. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Great tips, what size letters do you use, I'l like to be able to buy one set for my goats & rabbits if possible.

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

When I ordered from Jeffers, they had the larger ones on back order and didn't know when they would be in so I got the pet size of 5/16 instead of the larger 3/8. This would be a better size for your rabbits if it is a larger sized ear.

It's funny because they accidentally sent me the 3/8 numbers for the kit instead of the 5/16 so I had to wait for them anyway.

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

To make it easier we put the goat in the cattle crush....just made holding their heads a lot easier if their writhing body wasnt getting in the way....poor things....thats how we did ours anyway. :)

5. cjg24

cjg24 Cindy

I have never tagged my goats. Why did you decide to do it?

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I use keyhole feeders so I was always afraid the tags might catch on the feeder. They are Boers with floppy ears. I registered for the Scrapies program early so I could get the tags for free. Ironically, I have only used about 8 tags, the rest of the goats have been tattooed or sold directly at the auction.