Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Butchered two fryers. Didn't get a lot of meat but that's okay. We did it like field dressing. Squeezed the guts out, remove head, soaked in cold water for an hour, ripped fur off, cut off the feet, pull leftover innards out. Twist tail off and pull. Rinse blood off and any stray fur.

Learned I can dress out a rabbit in about 5 minutes. Not bad for a first timer I think! Froze the pelts, and feet for the dogs, and threw everything else to the chickens.

Followup question: is there a way to rip the skin off, have a good grip, and not break so many bones?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I butcher quite a bit different, but that doesn't make your way wrong. I use an old shovel handle on the ground, I bring the rabbit to the handle, place the handle over the neck behind the head, step on each side of the handle with a firm grip on the hind legs pull up and back snapping the neck (hard to explain). I then hang the rabbit from one hind foot, remove the head, and skin it out cased (cut from back foot to other back foot around vent) and pull the hide off inside out. I then remove entrails. This leaves me a full cased pelt that can be scraped and stretched and then the boys use them for all sorts of stuff after tanning. Just one of the many ways to skin a rabbit...lol.

Living the dream with 3 crazy boys and one awesome wife!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I use this method. I like hanging the rabbit, and have never had the bladder rupture doing it this way. The guy in the video above has a pretty good method too. I like how he sprays the rabbit so the fur doesn't fly around. I don't think I want my rabbits laying on the wire like that though. And I think it's easier to gut them when they're hanging. Lots of different methods out there though, and each person has to just play around with different methods and find out what works for him/her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts