Did I get a good deal on this wood cookstove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jul 22, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

[​IMG]

I got it for 99.99 and it is being delivered 2 weeks from now for free.

And how many of you use wood stoves?

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Hmm, hard to say. I know if I had both the room, and the ability to move it, I could of had a wood cookstove for about $30 a few months ago. Of course, it'd be sitting around a long time before being used by me, but, oh well....a better one will turn up anyways.

Depends on condition Zeal, that is real good for price delievered compared to a new one (the prices of new ones are insane!). But if any parts are too damaged to restore, it could present some problems...be sure to install it safely with good clearances.

3. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure looks like a great bargain to me. They must live within 50 miles of you.
    What fuel do you cook with now?

Happy cooking/heating.

Rick

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

Heck, I wouldn't move it for a hundred bucks. Those things are HEAVY!

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Electric... it will be a slow switch over...

Yeah, they are about 25 miles or so away.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's in good shape, you did really well. :)

Have you priced new ones?

We just picked up a wood stove with reservoir for $300. It's in excellent shape, and we're pretty excited about it. For now, we left it in the In-laws pole barn, until we finish the cabin.

Congrats on a good deal!

Pony!

7. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

I hate you. Seriously, I think you made a great score and I'm writhing in jealousy...! !

8. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I think you got a great deal! I cook on one and have used it for over 6 years now. We also have a propane stove, but nothing beats the wood cookstove. The best breakfasts are cooked on one!

Ours cost a lot more than that, and it does have lots of imperfections, but you learn to adapt to those things. Nothing has to be perfect. Of course, to move ours, it comes apart and to clean it, I also take it apart.

Enjoy it! You won't want that electric stove after you master the art of cooking on your new cookstove. Hey, maybe you can sell it on ebay!

9. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

What route did they say they were taking? I'm thinking "stovenapping" here . . . hehehehehe! It looks great to me! I had an old Home Comfort when I lived in IN. It was great! First thing we cooked in it was biscuits. They came out sooooooooo light and fluffy. We stood around gobbling them down, slathered with homemade Jersey cream butter dripping up to our elbows. Yum!

Even though there are some parts missing etc., you are in a great area to get parts, help, opinions, service?, installation?, and helpful hints, if you have any Amish friends. I bet you could get tools (the little thingy to scrape out the soot from the bottom of it, the lid lifters, the ash shaker handle, etc.) from Lehmans, even if it isn't a brand they handle. I mean a 6-inch lid is a 6-inch lid, and a lid-lifter is a lid-lifter, after all.

Be sure to check with your fire/homeowners insurance company to find out how they feel about wood-burning anything in your house - and what you have to do to keep them happy . . . probably purchase extra insurance via a rider to your current policy. Still worth it though! There is nothing like a wood-burning cookstove.

Get a really good oven thermometer and put it in the oven if you have any visions of baking bread, cakes or pies in the oven. Regulating the oven temperature is not something we all are used to, so it's a good idea to have the thermometer in there to help you figure it all out. Start with something easy like biscuits -- short cooking time, and difficult to mess up unless you burn the heck out of them. Also small batches, so less waste, just in case.

Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living had and probably still has a whole section on living with a wood-burning cookstove. If you don't have a copy, you can get one from her website, or check one out of the library . . . even if you have to do it on interlibrary loan.

Good luck with it. I think you will enjoy it a lot. Post pics when you get it installed . . . you can show us breakfast cookin' on it!! lol

10. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

We have another old stone building smaller than the one we sell out of. Would like to find an old stove and use that room for canning only. Kitchen gets so hot; A/C on back porch doesn't hit kitchen well even with fan in doorway. Can't remember when I used my stove last. Grandmother said in her day they had an outdoor shed they cooked in separate from the house because of the heat. Another reason they did that was because they had 4 fires she can remember that burned that shed down. Easier to build shed than rebuild a house. We were in Sutherland's last winter and they had an old stove with lids on top and small baking cavity; I drooled and husband hurried my along. Someday.......

11. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I love your stove! I'm jealous!
    But what I want to know is, where did you get the tall chef holding the blackboard that is on the counter top? My mom wants one and I have been looking for ages!

12. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

NO,no, it's a horrible deal. Don't let those people take advantage of you. Tell them to deliver it to me. I'll take it off your hands. I just can't bear to see you stuck with such a lousy deal. ;) (do they have another one?) :D

13. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice buy. I think you did great. :goodjob:

After you get it check out all the repairs it needs. Write down all the numbers you can find on it. Take measurments. Then check all flea mkts, sales that have antique stoves, adds, and any thing else that may have parts for it.

You can use black engine paint on the areas that need to be painted black, like the inside of the warming oven.

I refurbished one that was a charter oak. I sold it for $100.00. I gave $10.00 for it. Another Charter oak I bought at a sale and paid $5.00 for it. I only took what parts I wanted and gave the rest to someone else. I bought a working Charter oak, my first one, and it was in a house of an old woman and she had been using it. I had to give $250.00 for it. I put it in my kitchen and used it for years. Last year I decided it was time to get rid of it. I was going to sell it. DD had other ideas. I had to put it into storage for her. She already has her MIL in storage. I don't know why she needs 2. :grit:

14. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a white enamel Monarch that has wood on one side and electric on the other and we advertised it for $75 and couldn't sell it! Needs the electrical rewired and part of the burn box replaced ( a piece of metal set in it is all). Guess it depends on who wants what when! :) Glad you found one you like!

15. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

I agree!! Great deal!! :)

I have advertised on Freecycle and on several other places looking to buy a small woodstove... but no such luck!! :(

16. IwannaFarm

IwannaFarm Well-Known Member

Chalk me up as another one who's jealous! Great price! Up where we are it's hard to find a 'used' woodstove - cooking or otherwise. It's generally considered an amenity in the real estate market - like havign a pool or something - and when you get a house with a woodstove, you use it. Rare to find one for sale, and they don't last long when they are. Just too freakin' cold to pass up a woodstove.

My DH has had his eye on the Esse woodstoves - they retail at about $5000!!! (He's got expensive taste, no?) but they are supposed to be real heat efficient. Now, if we can just find $5000 laying about somewhere...