Did I get a good deal on this cast iron pan?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jodi, May 20, 2004.

1. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

I have never ever bought anything off Ebay, until today. I happened to look and see what was being sold in cast-iron cookware. Someone was selling a large Dutchoven dated from 1900 made in Germany. By the pictures it looks to be in pretty good shape...just some rust on the inside.

I got it for 50.00. Is that a good deal? Did I overpay? I have no clue...I know what new cast-iron sells for. But, something about a 104 years old Dutchoven just appealed to me. Shipping wasn't too bad...13.50.

Also...any tips on cleaning it up?

Thanks, Jodi

2. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

jodi,

if all it has is a little rust I would just use a scouring pad for pots. If it has baked on crud, the easiest way I've found is to burn it off by literally putting it in a fire. I've also put it on a fifth burner and turned it on high but you don't wnat to do it on the stove inside, it will fill your house with smoke so take a fifth burner outside. In some ways a fire is easiest though, you'll have to turn it over.

so far as whether or not you got a good deal, I don't know, lol. I have sold some griswold cast iron on ebay but it usually goes higher than unmarked cast iron because ppl collect just the name. What I would do is do a search on ebay in the completed auctions for similar cast iron and see what others have sold for to see if you paid too much.

Mel-

3. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mel...the pot is marked. Theres a stamp from Frankfurt on it with a date and some other marks. Probably the makers. I couldn't see it very well in the pics...I'll be able to read it better once I get it.

Jodi

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I talked to guy once who said the really valuable cast ironware has image of a spider on its bottom side. I dont know, think I might have seen a small fry pan like that way back. Some old timers called all cast iron fry pans "spiders" so would seem to fit. The thing to remember about collectables is that they are only worth the book price as long as somebody is willing to part with that amount of cash to aquire them. If I am just wanting a frypan to use as a frypan for rest of my life, I could care less if it says Taiwan or has a picture of a spider on its underside if the usefullness/durability is the same. Thus I am going to go for that which gives me the most usefullness at least cost. If cost is simular for simular usefullness then maybe choose that which has more chance to appreciate in value.

I occasionally watch that antiques roadshow. When they quote some outlandish price for some little table or knickknack, I just have to wonder where those mythical buyers are coming from. Especially when its some butt ugly thing that average person wouldnt want in his house. Has to be somebody to whom money means little because they have so much of it. Cant be whole lot of that kind of folk around. If you can buy $400k endtables then either you are Bill Gates or you wont be rich for long.

5. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Don't know if you got a good deal because I don't own one piece of cast iron but I heard a guy in the thrift store comment that he puts the dirty ones he buys there in the oven and turns on the self clean cycle. Says they come out looking like new. Anyone ever heard of that?

6. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

limhyl,

yes I've heard of that too but have never had a chance to try it. I just have a toaster oven since I can ruin boiled water ;)

Mel-

7. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I reseason castiron in the bbq grill with a sack of charcoal. Older cast may have value as an antique, however for use, newer cast iron is often of better manufacture and less expensive to purchase.