diatomaceous earth: how long to work?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ramon, May 11, 2005.

1. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

How long does it take for diatomaceous earth to work. I spread some on some plants that were engulfed in aphids 3 days ago and the aphids are still going incredibly strong, no detectable impact to date.
    Thanks

2. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

The aphids are on the leaves. The DE is on the ground. For DE to work there must be contact of the two.

Aphids can be reduced by a stream of water to the underside of the leaves. They are fairly easy to knock off. Attrack lady bugs. They will get rid of them post haste.

3. green5acres

green5acres Well-Known Member

[where did you get the earth? i am in n.c. and no one seems to know what i am talking about, tractor supply, southern states and my local feed store are all clueless

4. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

How about using Terro ant poison around the plants? Chances are, the ants are farming the aphids. You can buy it in these little plastic containers.

I had aphids on a snowball bush that I had planted. The aphids were so bad that the new growth was being stunted. I placed 3 containers of Terro around the base of the bush. They were empty in ONE DAY. After that, no more ants and no more aphids.

The beauty of these containers is that the poison doesn't come into contact with anything but ants...it's really only boric acid, and it won't wash away in the rain. I've also used it around my hummingbird feeders with the same results. The ants will always go for the closest food supply, and they carry it back to the nest with great results.

Just my .02.

5. blessedspotfarm

blessedspotfarm Active Member

I live in NC too my hubby works for S.States... they can only get non-food quality and only special order... look up DE here in the search area and several people have sugessted were to get it i buy mine online..

6. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

This is where I purchase mine at. http://gardeniq.com/ Click on "Insect Control." Shipping is reasonable and they ship quick. It is FOOD GRADE and I add it to my chicken feed to keep the feed dry. Living in warm humid south keeps so much moisture in air, I don't want my feed to mold in the bin.

I also sprinkle perimiter of house because Mississippi has some BIG bugs.

And use it in the chicken pen to keep their area dry.

Haven't had to use it in the garden yet though. Should work good on any soft bodied insect, aphids inclusive but have to use a duster to get it up under the leaves on the plant I bet. Don't breathe this stuff in at all it will be an irritant. Wear a mask. It is rendered ineffective when wet so don't water after use. All it takes is one scrape on the bug to get them to dry out but that doesn't mean they'll die right away. I'd give it couple days to get all the bugs then water.