Diatomaceous Earth help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CurrentWave, May 9, 2005.

1. CurrentWave

CurrentWave ~ Country Dreaming ~

I have mixed some 'natural' diatomaceous earth with sand in a box for my chickens to dust with as I read somewhere to do, however my chickens are eating it - is this okay?

The D earth bag has lots of warnings and use restrictions, but doesn't mention birds in anyway, or eating by animals.

My chickens are about six weeks old now, and they have food with gravel mixed in along with water - so I hope they won't eat much of the D earth and sand mix.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

If it is DE FOOD GRADE it is great...In fact I feed it to mine...Check annd make sure it is food greade...MissKitty

3. CurrentWave

Darn it all! I spent a lot of money on this stuff and I think it is the wrong stuff.

First I bought Diatomaceous Earth from the Co-op only to find out I don't want the pool kind - so I take it back. And go to the nursery and pay big bucks for the 'natural' kind, but it says harmful to humans and domestic animals in very small print - :grump:

Darn it - this makes me mad. Where do I get the right stuff? And if they are all called Diatomaceous earth how will I know that I have the right kind? :no:

4. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Hey CW~

We use and sell DE for animal worming and
    insect control...and despite the labelling
    required to avoid inhaling enough to
    cause mucous membranes to dry out, it's
    pretty harmless to humans and animals.
    It is not a toxic product in any way, shape
    or form.(unless you're an insect)

You used to be able to buy it without
    the warning, but it's become kind of a joke
    that the powers that be require the
    natural products labels sound as dangerous
    as killer pesticides and poisons.

Chances are if your chickens are eating
    it, they'll be good and cleaned out inside.
    I'd just watch that they were eating a good
    amount of their food as well. If not, cover
    the dust bath with something for a day or 2.

Best wishes with your flock,
    Sheep Tamer

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (sheeptamer) but you WANT them to eat it because it is a natural dewormer (?)

6. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

actually most say DE wont worm your stock, it becomes quite useless once it gets wet.

7. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Here's some suggested uses I found

Animal Use - Suggested Feeding and Application Rates:

Animal Suggested Rate
    Beef Cattle 1% of total weight of dry ration 5% in grain
    Dairy Cattle 1% of total weight of dry ration
    Calves 4 grams in morning milk per calf
    Chickens 5% in feed, use at full strength in dusting boxes
    Hogs .2% of total feed ration, dust or spray on bedding and animals
    Horses 5 ounces (1 cup) in daily feed ration
    Sheep 1% in ground grains 1 part Diatomaceous Earth to 2 parts T-M salt
    Goats 1% in grain, 5% per bushel of feed: up to 50% in T-M salt
    Dogs 1 T. per day in daily ration for dogs over 55 lbs., 1 tsp. per day in ration for small dogs and puppies, rub powder at full strength into the coat for fleas and sprinkle on bedding
    Cats 1 tsp. per daily ration, rub at full strength into coat for fleas and sprinkle on bedding

Diatomaceous Earth can be used as a dust or spray for control of flies and other insects in buildings, on pastures, crops and trees.

Insect Control - Suggested Application Rates:

Dusting: For crops and pastures use 6 to 18 kgs per hectare (6 to 10 kgs. in calm air). Dust after rain, overhead irrigation, or after a heavy dew to increase sticking of the powder. Dust plant upward from the ground, covering all stems, top and underside of leaves. For enclosed area use 1/2 to 3/4 pound per 1000 square feet. Hang dust bags in doorways of barns, milking parlours, etc. Sprinkle in areas where ants and roaches are present or areas in which they run, such as baseboards, under sinks, etc.

In The Row: Use four pounds per acre injected over the seed. Premix Diateasoseus Earth with a wetting agent and water, then add mixture to plantbr.

As a Spray: Mix two pounds per gallon of water with a wetting agent. Rates as low as 1/4 pound per 5 gallons water with a wetting agent have been effective. Be sure to keep mixture agitated.

Trees: Sprinkle liberally on the ground and around tree trunks. Tree trunks can also be painted with a mixture of Diatomaceous Earth, water, flax soap or a wetting agent. This will inhibit migration of various fruit flies (maggot stage), worms and the Japanese Beetle (grub stage). When a spray is desired, refer to spray rates.

8. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH BENEFITS SUMMARY:

· Natural wormer – eliminates many parasites without chemicals
    · Safe, non-toxic, parasites don’t build immunity as they do with traditional wormers
    · 15 trace minerals – great for animals, humans, plants, and soil
    · No feed withdrawal for milk or feed animals
    · Decreased mastitis
    · Reduced scours
    · Decreased mortality
    · Better feed conversion
    · Helps detox heavy metals, ecoli, bacteria, viruses, etc.
    · Promotes shinier coats
    · Digestive aid
    · Colon cleanser
    · Better production
    · Better overall health
    · Eliminates pests in stored grains
    · Reduces flies, fleas, ticks, etc.
    · Reduces manure odor
    · Drying agent
    · Reduces moisture and pests in barns, coops, kennel, litterboxes, compost piles, and other moist areas
    · Antifungal properties – good for garden fungal growth
    · Reduces overall animal stress
    · Cost effective
    · DE health benefits mean reduction in vet bills and dis-ease

9. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

As long as its food grade it will not hurt them. The home center DE is not food grade.

10. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Hi Jami,
    I get mine (for my chicks) from McMurray's. They have the food grade kind and I mix it with their organic chicken feeds. It is expensive, but I haven't been able to find a dealer that's close to me that carries it. I mix it in with the chicks feed and they just love it! Are you also feeding them a grit? If not then that's why they're eating the sand and it won't hurt them one bit to be eating it. Chickens don't have teeth and they need the grit to help them grind up and digest their food.

Leanna

11. CurrentWave

Thanks everyone great info - I'm going to print this thread for future reference.

As for now, I am so glad #1 dogmom told me where to get the food grade. Looks like I got the wrong kind twice (just like a newbie to do). Guess I'll do what any good homesteader would and use it for pest control :haha: