Diatamaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by carole in ky, Mar 25, 2005.

1. carole in ky

carole in ky Member

I can't find a place to get diatamaceous earth. I want to sprinkle it on my cats food to worm them. Anyone have any ideas?

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Swimming pool supply

mikell

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

You should not use swimming pool DE, it has been heat treated and does not work the same way as food grade DE.

I buy my DE from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply at www.groworganic.com
    shipping is very resonable with orders of over 200 lbs., I normally buy kelp meal at the same time (same place) store both in a cool dry locations and it doesn't go bad.

4. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I just go to my local garden supply store. The warehouse stores such as Lowes usually don't cary it, or if they do it has pesticides added to it. Buying a one pound box makes more sense to me than buying a 50 lb sack.

6. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Is there a Co-op near you? I had mine order it for me.

Just to reiterate...Don't use the Pool grade. The heat treatment it goes through raises the silica levels from less than 3% to between 40% and 60%.

Sylvar

7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

My horse trainer uses DE for daily worming. but mixes it with water because she said it can be harmful to lungs if inhaled. Do you do the same with other animals?

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE FOOD GRADE. Lowes carries DE, but its not usable on animals.

9. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Try Hoegger Goat supply. That is where I buy mine. Use it for the goats,chickens and dogs. It is 5 or 10 lbs bags.
    tnborn

10. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if this company delivers where you live but I get mine from Azure Standard. I give it to my dogs, cats, and donkeys for worms but also put it into the fur of my dogs and cats for fleas. After reading about the zodiac nightmare I'm glad I found D.E. In the Countryside Mag. in the July/Aug. 1999 issue on pg. 96 there is an excellent article about the many uses of D.E. It is recommended to use 1 cup for a full size horse, I use 1/2 c for my standard donkeys. I just put it in their oats allong with all their other "stuff" and then add just enough water to make it mix together....don't breathe the dust. I had to start out with a much smaller amount until they got used to it but now they stuff it right down!
    Good luck! Oh, chickens can "dust" in it or it can be added to their feed for worms as well.

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We get ours at the local seed and feed. They also have it over at Johnson's One Stop (if they don't have it, you don't need it!)

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

call your feed store ask them to carry it , tell them you will tell others if they start to carry it for you , hey a gaurenteed sale is better than nothing , right ?

i did buy the stuff from lowes, for a roach problem we had at our other house, and i calledthe company, and asked the rep SPECIFICLY what the"baits" were that were in it, and after she checked with her books and a couple of supervisors , we were told the "bait" was sugar, and so i asked them SPECIFICLY is this safe , like plain DE to feed to my animals, and for dusting them and i gavethem a rate WAY above what i feed my dogs, and was told, yes it would be safe,
    well that was a 7 lb bag, i still have about 3 lbs left, its over a year later, and my dogs and cats are still fine , so , if the ONLY place you can find it is lowes, and refuse to pay the ENORMOUS shipping charges on the DE from mail order, it should be safe to use .

of course you could always call the company yourself too 717-626-2125 or www.victorpest.com , brand name is "Safer brand DE with DE plus"
    Beth

13. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

Does DE prevent heartworms?

14. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I also get mine from Azure Standard

Mrs Whodunit

15. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

three creeks..

No it doesn't heartworm is a different ball game. but there are herbals to help prevent.

KC~

16. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Would you mind sharing what those herbals for heartworm are and in what dosage??? Sure would be good info to know.

17. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

I get mine from www.7springsfarm.com Price $23. for 50 lbs. Location Check Va. This is food grade. They have an on line catalog.